Does anyone else have an absurdly slow factory 512GB SSD in their 2010 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, Mar 25, 2012.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

My computer seems to be ridiculously slow, despite the fact that it's an i7 w/ 8GB of RAM. I notice that loading apps is extremely slow, my auto-changing background is really slow, etc.

I THINK this is the SSD. TRIM is enabled on it, though.

What is the best way to verify that my SSD is retardedly slow? And if that is indeed the culprit, do you think i'll have much luck w/ Applecare?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I went into the Genius Bar with the same symptoms and they replaced logic board and SSD. If not for AppleCare that would have been $1300!

4. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Thanks - great to hear!

Did you have a 2010 MacBook Pro? All fixed up after the switch?

5. Trentolol macrumors member

Trentolol

Did you enable TRIM yourself? I believe that you don't need to enable if it a factory SSD...

(Can someone confirm this?)

6. allieverything macrumors member

Factory ssd comes with trim automatically enabled

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Not true with the 2010 models....

Here's the gist. Before OS X Lion, most Apple SSDs didn't support TRIM or those that did came with it disabled out of the box.

However, after upgrading to Lion, it automatically enabled it on all SSDs that supported TRIM (including the SSD on my MBP).

8. magamo macrumors 6502

I have a 17" mid 2010 MBP with a factory 256GB SSD running Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8), and it seems trim is supported by default. I haven't changed anything about the SSD or upgraded the OS. But it seems it's already enabled. Is the no trim support thing a 512GB model thing? Or has it been enabled at some minor update on Snow Leopard?

9. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hmmm not sure - if it says it's enabled in the system profile, then Apple must have backported that update to Snow Leopard as well. I suppose that would make sense!

10. magamo macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I got curious and did more googling. It seems the update to build 10J3210 automatically enabled trim. If your benchmark result points to a problem on your SSD, trim enabling doesn't seem to have caused any trouble at least on Snow Leopard.

11. allieverything macrumors member

Whoops- sorry for the misinformation. I was under the impression that all the factory SSDs had trim enabled.

12. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Never posted any benchmark for the SSD. Do so, so we can get an idea of what could be wrong. Also, what about a screenshot of activity monitor?

13. Trentolol macrumors member

Trentolol

So is your computer running Snow Leopard or Lion?