Does anyone else think its weird that...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pchipchip, Apr 15, 2012.

1. pchipchip, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

pchipchip macrumors regular

Does anyone else think it is weird that Apple.com does not have a mobile version of their site? They pretty much started the revolution of everyone making mobile sites because of iOS, but yet they do not have a mobile version of their site. I am not saying that I really want one or anything, but I just was wondering if anyone else noticed that.

2. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

No, it's not weird at all. Besides imagine an apple mobile site and how it would look. :rolleyes:

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

I always thought the iPhone negated the need for mobile sites, though they are nice some times. Normally I am just happy to view a regular site as opposed to an often broken mobile version.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I actually think a mobile version of the Apple website would be nice.. it'd be easier to browse through products and their specs than with the current layout! Just imagine it as a scaled down version of what they do with the iPads for product advertising and information at the B&M stores.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm so glad that they don't. I hate mobile sites.

7. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

If you want a mobile site download the apple store app,that app is really cool and intuitive

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I actually don't see mobile sites much anymore. Maybe 1-2 years ago. But now most places will have an app instead.

9. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

I am not complaining or anything, I just thought I would point it out and see if anyone else noticed it. There are some pretty nice mobile sites out there,but also some very bad ones. I am usually okay with mobile sites as long as they don't run slow or they do not lose functionality.

10. aleni macrumors 68020

the ironic thing is when opening apple's website especially the online store, it's the only website i have ever opened that is taxing my iDevices. especially on iPhone 4.

11. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

12. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

In a way I kind of find it strange but at the same time I can understand that they don't see a need for one, especially since they have an app for the store and whatnot.

13. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I noticed iForgot.apple.com has a nice mobile interface, but appleid.apple.com does not.

I think it's weird that apple.com/webapps doesn't have a mobile interface, either.

14. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Not really an issue to me. I prefer the more advanced features and user interface over the sometimes lack of functionality of a mobile site.

15. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

No. Steve Jobs made it so clear that he hated and said that these so called "WAP" or "Mobile Sites" was the 'baby' internet and not the real internet. That's why sites like apple.com and nytimes.com as Apple always likes to use in demos are always in it's desktop form.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

How much sense does it make to advertise your phone as being able to access the full internet and then have a mobile site for your own company's webpage? Mobile sites generally suck anyway, better to have the full.

17. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Not all countries have that.

I generally don't like mobile sites and prefer that if they wanted to do that, just make an app but I would like to see an Apple mobile site since I can't download the app.

18. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

I agree but alot of the time its hard to get to the full fledged versions of some sites

19. elistan macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's weird at all. I think the weird bit would be if they offered a mobile version - it would go against how they've positioned the iPhone from Day 1.

June 2007 iPhone commercial:
    "This is not a watered down version of the Internet. Or the 'mobile' version of the Internet. Or the... kinda-sorta-looks-like-the-Internet Internet. It's just - the Internet. On your phone." All the while, images of browsing the full NYT website are shown, culminating in a phone call.
    http://youtu.be/VDHiz1Zjyks

What Apple tried to do with the iPhone was the concept of a mobile, web-based app. Which for many sites, at first, was just a way of re-formatting their mobile sites, rather than presenting a WAP version. But that fell by the wayside once the SDK was released. These days, Apple wants all sites to use HTML5 and look identical on Windows, OSX, iOS, WP7, Android, etc. The crazy thing is I still get WAP formatted sites from time to time, ones designed to be used from pre-2007 "smartphones" that navigate with scroll wheels or the keypad. I hate those things. And I hate mobile, lite versions of websites that offer no ability to opt into the full "desktop" version.