Does anyone else think more exciting news is coming from Google than Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Funkymonk, May 29, 2012.

1. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This pretty much sums it up.

Am I excited about things the internet makes up? Well sure. What does that have to do with reality, though?

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Every other word in that blog is "Google". It's like I'm being brainwashed reading that.

4. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

You mean exciting like Google accessing your email, personal data, passwords, etc? Then yes, much more exciting news coming from Google.

5. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

I totally agree with you. I've only used iPhones since the 3G but google has really started to steal the show in my opinion.

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm more eager to see the rumors of a Nexus device from 5 different manufacturers turns out to be true this year. Now that'd be something.

7. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Because Apple would never do that, right? It will ask you for password every time you check email and will never save personal data on a SMARTPHONE. :rolleyes:

8. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

And every other word on here is "Apple." This is an Apple site, they are Android, AKA Google. Don't bash a site for putting up the content that makes sense for that site.

9. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

The only thing I'm interested in coming out of Google is Project Glass.

Oh... and that driverless car they're working on.

10. irDigital0l Guest

Are you implying that only Google does that?

11. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Wow, a lot of full on speculation in that article. The author likes to associate the words 'should' and 'could' to mean 'will happen' and makes the assumption that Apple will sit idly by, making no advancements, while Google pushes forward with great tech advances. I do love how he compares Googles Assistant to Siri nd surmises that this 'should' knock Siri down for the count. Unless Google has something better that it is hiding (not imaginative vaporware) than Wolfrm Alpha, well Google Assistant won't be any better than Siri or Samsungs version of Siri.

12. LIVEFRMNYC, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012

LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I've read plenty of Android blogs that didn't have the need to use the word "Google" so many freaking times. :rolleyes:

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

????? what show did they steal?

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

After Google has flopped thusfar with

Google+
    Google TV
    Knol
    Chrome OS

I suspect that I/O will largely be a bunch of Pie demos that won't amount to anything. A couple of years ago tech writers were gushing over Google TV but every article I read seemed struggle to clarify exactly what problem Google TV was supposed to cure.

Chrome OS is a nettop. IT people have been there done that and consumers aren't paying.

Google really can't win. They have no traction on the desktop outside of a browser. They don't have the innate advantage of Microsoft and Apple with desktop OS.

Lastly 4 years ago many in the tech world loved Google. They've lost a lot of sway and good will from power users.

15. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

No.

Quite unexcited TBH.

Was excited for Gingerbread, was more excited for ICS, then I realized that Google just cannot deliver a consistent experience.

No matter what they do they are always "beta Google", introduced an update alliance yet who follows it? Nobody, is it Google Store? Is it Google Market? Now it's called Google Play?

Android is fragmented and basically what you get in the phone when you buy it is what you'll have. No timely updates, no consistency, still lags.

So, no, not interested in Jelly Bean or whatever they come up with.

16. matttye macrumors 601

With every claim the author makes, he provides good reasons for believing it will occur. It's a well written article actually.

I'm sold on "project majel" - of course Google want to destroy Siri when it directly competes with Google search. It makes perfect sense.

----------

Google had no traction in the browser market but Chrome is now the most popular browser in the world.

Android is the most popular smartphone os in the world. Chrome OS could work really well with Android.

I'm not saying they can take down Windows, but I wouldn't write Chrome OS off before you see what they do with it.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I'm certain they're working on it, but what's the difference between "a Siri-killer" and "a Siri-catch-up project."

Well, that just comes down to speculation by the author. You could probably describe it either way depending on how you want to make it sound. I doubt you'd be all excited had they just called it a catch-up feature.

Ok, so Google wants you to think it'll be better than Siri. They also said that most TVs sold this year would have Google TV on them. And they said that Google Wave was going to replace e-mail.

So forgive me if I don't get excited about Google promises.

18. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Google is the company most prominently in the news for doing so. About 10 times more than the others.

19. matttye macrumors 601

Then we agree :p I'm not saying Google's will be better, just that I think this is one area they wouldn't be foolish enough not to compete in. As the guy in the article said, why use Google when you can ask your phone and get a direct answer?

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Google is an unfocused mess of a company with a horrid mobile OS that makes no money, and a string of bad ideas dedicated to selling and monetizing your private information rather than making good products.

So no, I don't find what google does these days to be interesting or exciting.

21. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I embrace all things tech.

If not for various companies, creating "their vision" and providing us with lots of great solutions, the world would be a very boring, stale place.

There's no reason to hate others, or the competition, unless of course, that's who you are. :)

Google?

Yes, I do think they have some great products, ideas, projects and the Android OS which I enjoy, as much as iOS, on my various smartphones.