Does anyone else with a new MBP have fan noise at default fan speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, May 11, 2010.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

My fans make a slight bit of noise... like they're flapping against a part, a fast-ish clicking noise. It's faint, but when working in silence, quite annoying. I think this is a flaw and i'll have to send it back... Curious if anyone else has bumped into this issue.

My model is a CTO 15" 4GB / 15" HR glossy / 512GB SSD MBP.

2. Emoo macrumors regular

Unless I change the smcFanControl to "Higher RPM" I can't hear a thing except the occasional click of the HDD or cd drive.

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I think with the 2010 MBP's with high spec's make a bit of fan noise when doing normal tasks.

Perhaps because running in discrete graphics most of the time?

Definitely more noticeable that my '09 2.8ghz C2D 15" MBP ... not a 'click-ish' noise more so a whisp/hum as you say not loud but in a silent room you notice it.

When/if Apple releases a way to control integrated or discrete mode then I think the posts about fan noise or heat will die down.

4. shadygrove macrumors regular

My computer doesn't make a sound. Maybe it's the SSD, but I never notice the fans and temps are always in normal range.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah that's what I figured - I'll have to send this sucker in! Annoooooooying. Oh well. I guess that's what warranties are for.
    No - the noise is not the high-rpm noise associated with high CPU / GPU temperatures. It's a faint clicking noise that is noticeable at default fan speeds of just under 2k rpm.

6. ano0oj macrumors 6502

7. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Must be a defect then. I've been around a few new 15" MBP's none make a noise like that.

btw - read your blog, great writing, left a comment on your world travels, thx.