Does anyone else's iPhone 6S tend to get tons of tiny little scratches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luke lau, Dec 22, 2015.

1. luke lau macrumors regular

luke lau

I just recently upgraded from a 4 year old iPhone 5 to the 6S and so far its amazing. The only thing I've noticed is that the screen and sapphire front has gotten lots of tiny little scratches that can only be seen when a bright light reflects over it (i.e. if whenever a glare goes over it). They're not visible otherwise generally and the ones on the screen can't be seen at all when the displays on, but its just kinda irking me since I've had the phone for only a week and I'm the kind of person that rubs fingerprints off it with a lens cleaner . It doesn't have a screen protector or case on it but I haven't dropped it at all, and I've been keeping it in my pocket on its own so that nothing else can scratch it, not even my keys/headphones.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm not seeing this issue. All I have is a screen protector (I don't do cases) and my 6s+ is almost three months old.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I think you are referring to "micro-scratches".

It is normal and nothing you can do to avoid them unless you want to live with a screen protector.

You can only see under very bright light and are not seen under normal conditions.

I would just relax and enjoy your phone.

4. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

5. the-colombian macrumors newbie

As far as I'm tracking, only thing sapphire is the camera lens cover. The front glass is susceptible to micro scratches.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You are correct and the iPhone screen is not sapphire only the back camera lens cover.

7. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

Not a scratch. All I have is an Incipio Feather-Lite case on my phone

8. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

The home button for Touch ID is also sapphire.

9. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

No scratches on my 6S+ but I did get a few on my 6, definitely not tons, maybe 4 or 5.

10. Hunk4u macrumors member

Get a screen protector !! Small scratches are normally seen on almost all of the phones unless they're not covered by screen protectors. Cases & covers will not work that good, as they're just used to avoid dust and to look beautiful when you use your mobile.

11. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Its the oleophobic coating that's scratching, not the glass. The coating will come off over time anyway. You'll find the scratches are only visible when you angle the screen into the light.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Screen protectors (which are all fugly IMO), are only necessary if you expose your phone to environments where the ION-X glass could get scratched.

12. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I've got a glass screen protector on my phone. I hate those scratches. I want my phone in pristine condition when I give it to a family member each September.

13. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Screen Protectors day one = Common sense. End of story ;)

14. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

In your opinion.
    I've never used a screen protector on any iPhone. I've also never had a scratched screen micro scratches or otherwise.

15. thatanonymoususer, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015

thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

I've always used a case with just enough face-down protection that the glass won't touch a surface, and I haven't had issues on any of my phones other than the 6+. I'm assuming that it might be because the screen was so big, and less of the screen would be protected by adding a lip around the edge. I've had my iPhone 6s in and out of its case over the course of my owning it, and I'm not seeing any scratches. Compared to other iPhones, while I saw a lot of manufacturing issues with the screen, the durability of this phone is the best available for any glass and metal smartphone. I don't feel like I have to baby it as much, which is a new concept for the iPhone line.

EDIT:
    One thing to keep in mind if you have any earrings, anything with a Mohs hardness of 6.8 or higher will scratch the phone's screen. If you do wear anything like sapphire, topaz, or diamond earrings (and a bunch of other precious minerals), you should probably have a screen protector. I don't, so I don't.

16. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

It only has to happen once. Accidents do happen. Common sense...Again :)

17. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

18. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I noticed when I had my space gray 6s, there were several little scratches that I spotted on the screen (only could see them in the right light). I decided to switch colors to the silver model and I have yet to spot any scratches at all.

19. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

It has nothing to with common sense. It's personal preference or wether or not your accident prone.

20. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

It's Common Sense if you want to keep your iPhone as clean as possible. Period

21. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

If that's your goal, just leave it in its box.

22. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I had that on my 6 plus, though I use mine naked so expected

23. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

Well we will agree to disagree. I've got plenty of common sense and I've never used a SP also no scratched screens. But then again I don't really worry about. It seems that the people that are most concerned are the ones that always have issues.

24. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Not the case here, I never have issues because I use a case w/SP on my phone.