does anyone feel like magnetic charging and water resistance will be coming to iPhone 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mikeyfabs, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Mikeyfabs macrumors member

With the watch being water resistant and charged magnetically I think this will be coming to iPhone in the next big cycle change and will be a big selling point even though samsung has both technologies on their phones but no one cares about that lol

2. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

I think wireless charging probably will be coming within the next model or two, yes. Not so sure about water resistance - it doesn't seem like a feature that really "moves the needle" for many people, and Apple's phones tend to get more fragile rather than less :/

3. Mikeyfabs thread starter macrumors member

i only say water resistant bc they did it with the watch

4. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

What if they just throw absolutely everything they can into the iPhone 7? Removable back, replaceable batteries, storage, RAM and processor, @3x AMOLED displays, 4, 4.7 and 5.5-inch screen sizes, quad front-facing speakers, dual cameras, turbo charging, inductive charging, USB-C, waterproofing, etc. And don't get me started on what they can do with the software. I know, they probably won't, because margins, but what if?

5. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a Samsung from two years ago, haha (j/k)

6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I think it's possible, but I would bet on fast charging first.

Then what features would they leave for the iPhone 8? ;)

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Nope! Maybe in iPhone 8. Apple is slow at adopting technology.

8. broadbean macrumors 6502a

The Watch is sealed, so easier to be water resistant, and better with inductive charging. Would I give up the headphone/microphone socket to have a better water resistant iPhone? I think so, now that Bluetooth headphones are relatively good and reasonably priced. Maybe Apple could make the Lightning port better sealed while giving it fast charge capability? Can't see it happening for 6s tho.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wireless charging has been on other phones for years now, I think it would be a great addition to the iPhone, but apple does seem rather pedestrian when adopting newer technology

10. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

It's been on phones for years, yet it still isn't widely adopted. LG don't have it, HTC don't have it, Mototola, OnePlus and Sony still don't have it. It's pretty much just Samsung, who have only recently adopted it, Google and Nokia who do it.

11. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

Apple wouldn't adopt a technology for just saying it. It would be because they master so much all the parameters that they can now use it without the user feeling the need to work on it.

Water resistance is good but still require bulky hardware and a mind conscious user.

I believe Apple will do it when users don't care anymore about ports and when users have adopted iPhone without the home button. It's coming but it's still too early.

12. broadbean macrumors 6502a

Every week while I'm in the pool, I look at my Apple Watch and think why couldn't Apple make their Macs and iPhones at least a little more resistant to the occasional spill? Afterall, Lenovo has made laptops that can survive if you spilled a can of drink over it.

13. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

The iPhone 6 has little gaskets inside, around the buttons. It is resistant to spilling. I think there are even test of submerged iPhone 6 showing it can survive.

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Hmm no

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Waterproofing a big flat (flexible) phone with headphone and lightning connectors is much harder than waterproofing the small, rigid capsule of the watch.

Magnetic charging would be nice, however. I'd like to carry just one charge cable (the watch cable) when traveling.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nope. That's dangerous misinformation.

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

That may be, but your car has gaskets around the doors.

That doesn't make it a submarine. :D

18. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Water resistant phones don't give up the headphone jack or other usual ports. But we all agree that Apple won't make the necessary design compromises for water resistance.

19. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Careful, it's water resistant not water proof

20. broadbean macrumors 6502a

I am conscious of it, but also comfortable enough with it. Only with the Apple Sport Band tho!

21. bushido Suspended

bushido

not really but it does survive in water for a surprisingly long time. i left my old iPhone 6 in the bath tub for 10 minutes and still worked like nothing happened. after an hour or so of letting it dry the speaker didnt work but i even got that one working again from a tutorial online.

but year water resistent phone like the watch would be awesome