Does anyone feel like the new iPod Touch is now even closer to an iPhone without the

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMe, Sep 2, 2010.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

phone?

I mean Apple included Retina Display, rear HD video recorder, front Facetime camera, A4 Apple chip, gyroscope...

SO yeah, now iPod Touch users can chat with other iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4 users, FOR FREE. No data plan. As long as they are in wifi zone.

The new Touch is even thinner than the last one, and it comes in 64GB, unlike the iPhone 4.

Does anyone feel like, maybe Apple needs to keep some features sacred to iPhones, because otherwise it's like people can have the SAME features we have, but at a much cheaper price?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They put it out for the verizon crowd that wont switch:D

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I find that an iPhone without 3G is almost half as good. After owning an iPhone I couldn't imagine not having a constant data connection. It's been incredibly useful to me while out and about with no wifi connection.

4. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

what do you mean does anyone feel that it's close to the iPhone without the phone? It is close to the iphone without a phone. It has everything the iPhone 4 has expect the same exterior design and telecommunication chipset.

What's wrong with people having the same features on an iPod touch as an iPhone 4? They're both Apple products, what's it matter it to you? You want people to need a carrier and 1 measly feature (phone) in order to stay sacred? :rolleyes:

Now that's it so close to the iPhone 4, there will be plenty of people around the world who, for whatever reason, don't have an iPhone 4 but will still be able to take advantage of this nifty piece of Apple hardware. There will be more people turned on to Apple.

5. JohnsiPhone macrumors newbie

It is definitely real cool, but it is definitely not on the iphones level without 3g.... traveling, in school, at the store, at work, taking a boo boo in a public batheroom... on the ipod touch you wouldnt be able to browse the web, but with the iphone u can browse anywhere, and download anything

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple is just giving people an alternative to an iPhone, and no one said that the alternative had to be crappy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Isn't that pretty much a statement of fact? Hardly worth posting a thread about.

8. Covart Guest

A lot of people don't need a network, and in fact download most apps and info while at home. Those in large US cities also have a ton a free wi-fi hotspots (Star Bucks, McDonald's, etc), negating the need for a data plan. This is the perfect alternative for those not wanting to pay out the a** for an iPhone (or restricting themselves to AT&T for that matter.)

I'll be buying one, even though I still have my 3GS. :D Good on ya Apple!

9. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

the iPod Touch rear camera is far from being a the 5mp autofocus masterpiece that is undoubtedly one of the greatest aspects of the iPhone 4

so neither is the touch an 'iPhone without the phone' (but also without the wonderful camera), nor would i have a problem with it being so ...

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

nah the new touch models are made from scrapped parts from the once white iphones

11. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Is someone getting a bit jealous?

Did they make the new touch TOO nice?

Is that a mild problem?

We don't want those measly fools having THAT neat of an alternative. Makes us feel a little too even.
    It shouldn't have FaceTime should it?

12. adztaylor macrumors 68000

For people who don't want an iPhone. The iPod Touch is an excellent alternative, they've made a great upgrade.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its still inferior.

You're stuck with looking for a Wi-Fi hotspot as opposed to always-on 3G connection AND even then that Wi-Fi has to be purely free (in the UK for example you get BT Openzone & Cloud Wi-Fi for free even though they normally aren't).

The camera is nowhere near the iPhone 4s

You're not necessarily guaranteed a 100% compatible iOS 5 update (becoming less of an issue though)

No GPS/compass

The retina display is inferior to the iPhone 4's version apparently as it is not an IPS screen.

So no, it might appear close but the marked differences are still there.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's completely unremarkable, but some people seem to think it's this AMAZING REVELATION and Apple somehow made an OMG HUGE MISTAKE. In particular, those who think they're somehow gaming Apple by getting an iPod Touch and a "regular" phone.

But, they haven't gamed anyone. Apple still gets their money, both by them buying a product and through future iTunes/App store revenue. And they're still likely on the hook for the contract on that non-iPhone they got. Oh, and they still have to carry two gadgets. :D

Apple certainly knew what they were doing by closely (but not quite) matching up the features. The iPod touch has always been an option for people who want to use an iOS device but either aren't covered by a carrier selling the device, or otherwise don't want to be locked in to a contract.

15. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

I always feel cheated. But I dont feel like "oh iPod Touch users don't deserve it", my disappointment is more towards Apple and the justification for things based on price.

I always buy the full SIM unlocked unsubsidised price for the iPhone. The current 32GB model comes in at £600. The new iPod Touch 32GB model comes in at £250. Are you telling me that the adding the telephone circuitry justifies £350 extra for the phone? Of course not! With the iPod features coming so close to the phone, it makes me wonder if its just better to buy say the Ipod Touch at £250 and then spend the £350 on say an HTC type Android device? Sure its not too convenient with 2 separate devices, but at least you get a good phone. There will be overlap between the 2 devices but at least you have the best of both worlds - so to speak.

Apple clearly make a sizeable profit from the iPod Touch even at £250, so imagine the markup on the unsubsidised iPhone?! They must be laughing all the way to the bank!

Sure the iPod Touch doesn't have the camera flash and no GPS etc - but even without these, the markup for the unsubsidised phone is still very high. So sometimes it feels nice knowing the phone has a few extras that the iPod Touch doesn't. At least giving us a 64GB version of the phone for £600 would help us feel a bit better.

16. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Next logical step would be for Apple to offer an iPod touch with a built-in 3G chip for data only. You could then use the iPod touch like you would a 3G iPad.

17. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

It makes me a bit irritated and I think it's rather dumb on Apple's part.

I mean I understand that they have to add new things to each device to make it more appealing then the last one...that's how it works...but I think Apple is starting to fall behind with diversity between their products.

The iPod is virtually the same as the iPhone 4. You can't text (through a text messaging plan), you can't call (without Skype), and no 3G. That's it. Nothing else really makes it any different.

And that really stabbed themselves in the foot with the iPad. Bigger screen...that's about it.

18. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Apart from GPS/compass, better camera, flash, better display, different design.

19. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

It shouldn't have a rear camera. Everything else is fine.

20. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Why do people keep saying "no gps"? The iPod touch I got my parents last year has gps on it. It works just fine.

21. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

So how do you use that GPS once you leave your house? Does your car have wifi?

Personally, I think it's awesome the iPhone and iPod Touch are that closely related. More people using iOS the better IMO

22. nednarm macrumors 6502

I do feel annoyed because the ipod touch is offered in 32 and 64gb while iphone users are stuck with only 16/32. I sure would be nice to have 64gb on my iphone 4. Guess I'll have to wait til next June for that.

23. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Point?

I said it was virtually the same. I don't see how "better ____" makes a difference. Still the same features besides flash and GPS.

Fact is, they made it to identical. I wouldn't trade my iPhone 4 for a iPod Touch but I can't help but feel slightly cheated.

24. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

The price of the new iPod Touch tells me that the iPhone 4 is over priced. A $400 difference in price for the 32GB models seem excessive, given that the only differences are a cell phone chip, antenna, and style?