Does anyone have a 3D-print template of HDD/SSD mounts for the Mac Pro's optical drive bay?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 10, 2018.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

There exist 3D-printable templates of actual HDD bay sleds and of those which have been modified to take SSDs...

...but, is there a template of an optical drive bay cage? I'd like to mount the SSD which I have in optical bay #2, and I'd like to retain the DVD drive in bay #1. If it's too much trouble, I could probably just put adhere it in there somehow—but, that's a last resort. Only reason I don't just let it dangle in there is because it tends to make a vibration noise when it contacts the metal.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2018 ---
    Maybe this would work? Although, it would take the whole bay up. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2936929

2. leekil macrumors member

That one looks like it requires three 5 1/4 bays on top of each other, which is not what the Mac Pro has. Or do you plan to modify the template?

3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

4. kohlson macrumors 68000

I use duct tape. Has done the job for several years. Rattle free!

5. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Yeah, my SSD is just sitting on top of the optical drive, not even fastened down. It's fine.

6. R3k macrumors 6502a

Other World Computing still stock all those mounts / trays / adapters for putting SSD's/HDD's in the optical bays and SSDs' in the HDD bays. Though you're probably aware.

7. eksu macrumors regular

Speaking of 3D printing mounts, I was thinking of creating a 3D model for a generic PCI-E mount that slides into the support with the fan, so your graphics cards don't sag. Would there be interest in this?

8. Zeke D macrumors 65816

Zeke D

I'm always printing stuff for my cMP, so I'd be interested.