Does anyone have a laptop cooler for their Macbook Pro? Is it any good?

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
I am thinking about buying a laptop cooler, probably the cheap Belkin one, for my Macbook Pro, has any of you bought it and are laptop cooler any efficient for Macbook Pros?

mtip

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010
I am thinking about buying a laptop cooler, probably the cheap Belkin one, for my Macbook Pro, has any of you bought it and are laptop cooler any efficient for Macbook Pros?
Why do you think you need one?

MBP's have no vents on the bottom so the cooler would be just blowing air against a solid aluminum plate - not really useful. Not to mention the nasty noise most of these things make.

Unless your MBP is overheating (not just running hot, which is normal, but shutting down because of the heat) you don't need to worry about extra cooling at all.

Mexikaner

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
Cheran, Mexico
Belkins

I have the Belkins $20 cooler which I use everyday but, not so much because of the fan but, more so because anytime I put my MBP Unibody on either my lap or on the bed or any type of fabric cloth material it starts to get warm and gets hotter the longer u leave it there. I could never put my MBP on my lap if it weren't for this cooler even though I rarely use the fan itself. Once I get to the office and place my MBP on a hard surface this becomes a non issue though.
This is actually the second one I've owned. Good value for $20.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I have one. It's a Targus model #AWE41CA. It is alright. I don't use it often. I never noticed a significant difference in temperature (I use iStat menus). But it's good for placing your MBP on if you are gonna have it on your lap. I don't know about everyone else, but mine gets quite hot if i've been using it for a bit.

Most of the time I just use my MBP at a desk. If you like to sit on a couch or something with your MBP, then it's useful to have a cooler. Anything cheap will do; heck, a phonebook would probably work.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Mine does absolutely nothing, at least not enough to be noticeable but I still use it because it props up my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.