Does anyone have a laptop cooler for their Macbook Pro? Is it any good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheJing, Jul 23, 2011.

1. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I am thinking about buying a laptop cooler, probably the cheap Belkin one, for my Macbook Pro, has any of you bought it and are laptop cooler any efficient for Macbook Pros?

2. mtip macrumors member

Why do you think you need one?

MBP's have no vents on the bottom so the cooler would be just blowing air against a solid aluminum plate - not really useful. Not to mention the nasty noise most of these things make.

Unless your MBP is overheating (not just running hot, which is normal, but shutting down because of the heat) you don't need to worry about extra cooling at all.

3. Mexikaner macrumors newbie

Belkins

I have the Belkins $20 cooler which I use everyday but, not so much because of the fan but, more so because anytime I put my MBP Unibody on either my lap or on the bed or any type of fabric cloth material it starts to get warm and gets hotter the longer u leave it there. I could never put my MBP on my lap if it weren't for this cooler even though I rarely use the fan itself. Once I get to the office and place my MBP on a hard surface this becomes a non issue though.
    This is actually the second one I've owned. Good value for $20.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

5. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I have one. It's a Targus model #AWE41CA. It is alright. I don't use it often. I never noticed a significant difference in temperature (I use iStat menus). But it's good for placing your MBP on if you are gonna have it on your lap. I don't know about everyone else, but mine gets quite hot if i've been using it for a bit.

Most of the time I just use my MBP at a desk. If you like to sit on a couch or something with your MBP, then it's useful to have a cooler. Anything cheap will do; heck, a phonebook would probably work.

6. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Laptop cooler does absolutely nothing to cool MBPs. Dont waste your money.

7. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Mine does absolutely nothing, at least not enough to be noticeable but I still use it because it props up my MBP.

8. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I heard about several laptop owners buying beer coolers.

The MBP will stay cool by itself, beer won't.