Does anyone have a loose lid on their whitebook? my genius bar experience...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by likemyorbs, Jan 8, 2009.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

so my sister's whitebook had a very loose lid. i took it to the genius bar today and the "genius" gave me some story about since there is so much leverage on the screen its gonna be loose no matter what, and showed me another macbook that was right next to him and it also happened to be like that. i told him to have them try to tighten it and do whatever they can. low and behold i came back in an hour and the lid was completely fixed, i knew it wasnt supposed to be that way. but he looked at me like i have macbook ocd, when i showed him how loose it is he said "well i would have to suggest that you dont do that anymore". obviously he was wrong because they were able to fix it. and then i said the aluminum one doesnt do it at all, and he smirks and says "yes it does"....does anyone else have a loose macbook lid?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The aluminium one does have the problem, infact its even worse especially on the early build models. Theres hundreds of threads on this forum about people complaining about the aluminium one. I think theyve fixed it now, its just a loose screw either side of the screen due to poor manufacturing quality checks. The genius shouldnt have been so rude to you though, which store were you in?

3. Boston Fan macrumors member

Boston Fan

Nope, no problems at all with my 2.4 aluminum (ordered the first week they came).

4. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Freehold, New Jersey. it was just ridiculous because it CLEARLY felt flimsy and loose.

5. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

same here, my aluminum is as solid as can be. very high quality

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

7. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

My early 2008 whitebook is also fine. If open it to 90 degrees then pick it up and tilt it forward so the screen is parallel to the ground, zero movement :)

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Same here, on the aluminum model tho...

9. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

My Rev A whitebook did not have a loose lid, neither does my Rev A alum book... :D:cool:

10. shouldberunning macrumors member

I noticed my new (week old) MacBook White has a small amount of movement from left to right when lid is closed. Nothing out of the ordinary I don't think. Much looser though and I'd be annoyed.

I think the reason we seem so fussy about these things is because we expect perfection for the price we pay.

I'm still getting used to the new keyboard. I prefer the feeling of my old iBookG4 keyboard. The MacBook feels a little flimsy by comparison and the keys seem wider apart.

In an unrelated screen issue, way off topic here, I once bought an IBM laptop and the hinges were so tight that after a weeks usage of opening and closing it a large crack formed from the hinge areas. They replaced it but the second unit had the same problem. The same crack appeared and they refused to honor their warranty and decided to tell me I had dropped the unit and damaged it.

Eventually the whole lid separated and had to be propped up agains a book or some other object.

The funny thing is, the very next model IBM put out had exactly the same guts, I mean EXACTLY, but the casing was redesigned and made of a different material.

All in all my experience with Mac has been much better.

But just for the hell of it, and because I'm waisted on painkillers after an operation, I'll share my Apple beefs:

iBookG4 - extended warranty too expensive so I didn't bother. After the 1 year warranty was up by a couple of days the CD R/W quit working. The DVD player still worked but I couldn't back up any files to disk. Now it's shutting down at random... hence the new MacBook purchase.

Also there was a bug that made the speaker balance switch to full left. There was a fix that kept the balance centered at all times, but I'm one of those weird people who actually uses their balance slider at times. I always assumed Apple would address this issue in a patch... but they never did.

MacBook White - Touchpad clicking not working under bootcamp in Windows. I hope this isn't going to be like the 'balance' issue on the iBookG4 where they just ignore it.

Touchpad also seems to 'sleep' easy and I find myself having to squiggle my finger on the pad all the time to wake it up.

The edges of the casing on the front and sides, where my forearms tend to touch occasionally, are not as rounded as they were on the iBookG4. Obviously because this is a seem on the Macbook.

And then what I said earlier about the feel of the keyboard, but I'm getting used to that.

In the end I'm quite happy with the MacBook.

11. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

No problems with my Aluminium MacBook, bought end of november/early december

12. Crash1234 macrumors regular

My whitebook has the same slight amount of left to right movement when the lid is closed. It does not have any movement when the lid is open however. I could flip the notebook completely in a circle while open and the lid wouldn't move. Can't say the same about my alu mbp, but it seems like the alu mb's have very sturdy hinges.

13. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

My white lid moved like that to. I think they were trying to avoid cracking the case maybe.

As for your MBP the screen is heavier causing it to fall like that. (I've seen a video on it)
    The 13incher isnt heavy enuff to make the lid close like that.

14. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

After it was fixed there was still some slight movement but nothing like the way it was before, it was just unacceptably flimsy for a 3 month old computer. And the guy made me feel like I was crazy

15. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i would have demanded they fix it. I have 2008 black macbook and the screen is very tight. no play whatsoever.

16. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

I had hinge problems (misaligned) when they did my first repair, so my 2nd one was done fixing that. New hinge = better

17. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

That's been like that since day 1 of bootcamp. Still haven't released new drivers for the Whitebook, probably never will, despite many people wanting it.