Does Anyone have any GOOD Arguments Against Same-Sex Marriage?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CalBoy, Oct 9, 2007.

1. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I recall reading an interesting piece by a guy named Corvino who wrote that there is essentially no good reason why society shouldn't promote gay rights. So, I invite the conservatives among us to present their case. Do you have any GOOD reasons for denying same-sex couples equal rights?

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It killed the dinosaurs.

Also, nuclear families produce more energy.

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

4. juanm macrumors 65816

There's something intrinsic with the right wing everywhere in the world: they share a complex towards sexuality, and they won't like people who doesn't. They won't admit they have sexual impulses, and try to repress them in everybody around them at an obsessive level, let alone on people confortable enough with their sexuality to accept their attirance towards the same sex.

For me, lots of problems can get reduced to sex... World would be a better place if there was some kind of public and free oral sex service.

"Político bien follado es feliz y rinde más"

In the Marquesas islands, before the missionaries arrived, marital sex happened before the eyes of the family and the rest of the tribe. Sure, they ate people, but I'd have liked to live there for a while, just to see how life was.

5. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I have one: it is cruel to inflict the horror of marriage upon gay people. ;)

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Bullyouknowwhat. They should have to suffer like the rest of us :D

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

What a slippery slope that is. Soon we'll be burdening them with the adoption of children, and the next thing we know their fabulous lifestyles will no longer be the source of envy.

Abolish gay rights to protect them from our startling mediocrity. I demand they not be brought down to our level.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Uh, because a bunch of guys who are probably closet cases themselves say that God told them so?

And because it hurts the childrens. And America. And apple pie. Won't somebody please think of the apple pie!

So, yeah, no... even for those of us who aren't gay it's about rights, and just because some people think it's wrong, that doesn't mean anyone has the right to dictate how others live their lives if it's between 2 loving, consensual adults and doesn't affect anyone else.

9. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

You're right. If this continues, gay people everywhere will have to adopt the sartorial standards of Ted Nugent.

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

What makes a good-hearted person has nothing to do with their private life. Maybe we should stop cataloging people into groups?

11. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I have an argument against public displays of affection. I don't want to see any kissing, hand holding, hugging, or winking. That goes for straight people too.

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Now there's an idea that I can support.

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I disagree with it on grammatical grounds. Its an affront to the English language.

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You can make the case that there shouldn't be LEGAL support for marriage at all -- that the government shouldn't be involved.

But the problem with that is the whole idea of "next of kin" -- who's responsible for an individual when they die or get hurt? The government probably does need to be involved. But maybe you don't call it "marriage."

15. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Its all about taxes. There really is no other reason to be married.

No one is telling you that you cant love someone, though that is what is implied by even saying the term "Gay Marriage". Automatically that makes it something wholly different when it should not be. Its just marriage like any other.

If you want to be miserable for the rest of your life, go for it. :cool:

Govt. bullsh*t FTW! ;)

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

No, because there aren't any. Only bad reasons.

17. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Groups have no rights.
    Individuals have rights.
    Homosexuals have the same ones as heterosexuals.
    A homosexual man can marry any woman he wants and who will have him.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I hope that was a joke.

19. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Best post!:D
    Agreed. We have bedrooms and the backseats of cars for a reason.
    Not entirely. There are issues when it comes to having a partner who's of a different national origin, and there are issues involved with property rights of the next of kin as someone mentioned above.

Ok, fine, how come we haven't given homosexuals and heterosexuals the right to marry any person they want to?

20. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Because I'm not into dudes.

Oh, you meant for the entire population....no, I don't have any good arguments against it.

21. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

So you can only exercise rights given to you? What a narrow view.

Have you ever considered that certain rights are superior to law i.e. the whole natural law and natural rights view, as espoused by many churches?

22. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Easy. My youth pastor said it's a sin!!1!

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

no...
    Rights imply something inherent. If its given its not a right.

I tend to follow a Lockian interpretation where laws only serve to restrain our rights.

My complaint with "gay marriage" is semantic. A marriage is monogamous union between a man and a woman to establish and ensure the paternity of offspring.

If 2 homosexuals want to sit down and form a partnership to control all of their assets (to handle inheritance issues) and sign a durable power of attorney(to cover such things as medical decisions when incapacitated) fine. If the several states want to pass laws bundling items together, fine. But its not a marriage.

24. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better actually.

25. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

No ..... because Father Ted Crilly and Father Dougal Maguire say it's a sin.