Does anyone have experience using their iPhone/iPad as a monitor for the Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PDFierro, Sep 13, 2013.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I don't want to buy an external monitor, and it's not really an option for me as I'm never in one place that long.

I know there are apps like AirDisplay that let you use your iOS devices as a monitor for your Mac. Has anyone done this personally? I've done some extensive Googling on this matter, and it seems like it works good but I can't really gather how well it runs.

Specifically, I'm looking to do this on new Apple hardware. Retina iPad/iPhone, and Retina MBP.

I know it's over WiFi, so you obviously can't do anything intensive with it. But does it work good for basic uses? Can I read documents/PDFs and generally browse the desktop fluidly? If you do this, tell me what your uses are. Would AirDisplay be the one and only app choice to do this?

Thanks.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I use Splashtop Remote, which lets me see & control any of my Macs with my iPad - via wifi or over the Internet from other locations. I don't run the Macs headless, but I think it's an app worth trying. They have a free trial period.

3. codalo macrumors newbie

iPad as ext monitor

If both devices are on the same network use AirDisplay.
    If both devices are not on the same network then use Splashtop.
    AirDisplay uses wifi, Splashtop requires setup with a google login and can be used remotely. I use both for different purposes, airdisplay makes the iPad a great extended screen for laptop or iMac, I'd not thought to use it as the only display.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I've used splashtop routinely for a few years now to remote my windows 7 netbook screen, keyboard, mouse to the iPad. Works very well, little latency but probably not great for gaming :) . I use a $20 ASUS wireless router to create an ad-hock network between the netbook and iPad and they play together just fine. No internet connection required, no logins except to set up the connection between the two device apps, no stinking google (but that may be an option). It is all local.

Haven't had to use splashtop with a Mac, just saying it works fine with a PC. The AD-hock network is probably required because of windows 7 wifi limitations.