Does anyone have ultrasn0wed 4.1 TU with 1.59.00 BB?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thadoggfather, Oct 12, 2010.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I'm on 4.0.1 iPhone 4 with jailbreak and unlock. I've heard TU preserves baseband at 1.59.00 if I run the TSS server and restore to 4.1 on iTunes.

I'm just paranoid in the event of failure, I have an iPhone 4 locked to 4.1 which is useless because I'm in Europe right now.

Anybody succesfully do this though and then re-unlock? I heard limera1n doesn't work with 4.1 and 1.59.00 BB. Maybe the *just released* greenpois0n does?

or should I still wait for an official pwnagetool before doing this baseband preserving thing?

2. anthdci macrumors 6502

I have used TU to preserve the 0.1.59.00 baseband on iOS4.1 and it works great using limera1n, but I cannot test if ultrasn0w works since I don't have microsim from another network.

3. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Really? I thought MuscleNerd specifically said limera1n won't work for unlockers or something.

Dunno though.

4. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Jailbroke my friends ip4 and preserved his baseband.
    Then used ultrasn0w and now he's using it on T-Mobile.
    So yes as long as you preserve the baseband it should work.

5. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

It will work (jailbreak), but on non iphone4 devices it will take upgrading the baseband to get to 4.1 (tinyumbrella only stops the baseband updates on iphone4) so he advised waiting for pwnagetool to create a custom firmware to keep your old baseband hence preserving the unlock.

6. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

so unlock on iPhone 4 is good to go?

Is it worth chancing?

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I too was wondering why Musclenerd included iPhone 4 owners in that tweet, but I think everyone here is correct: as long as you have 1.59.00 as your baseband, you can unlock.

Ultrasn0w successfully installed on my phone - I also can't test it since I don't have a non-at&t sim

8. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Just updated to 4.1 with TinyUmbrella and still have my 01.59.00 baseband. I'm off to jailbreak.

9. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

You sound very gun shy, but yes, the answer you heard is correct. Use TU to preserver BB and then unlock, or wait for a pwnage type tool. Everyone that has used the TU method and successfully upgraded to 4.1 and kept 1.59 BB seems to have successfully installed ultrasn0w. Several that have alternate SIMS are reporting back that the unlock is working fine.

GO FOR IT!

10. shinji666 macrumors newbie

From my experiences:
    4.1, 1.59.00, JB with limera1n, ultrasn0w
    I tested with another canadian carrier (unable to use sim before jb/unlock) and it works fine after JB/unlock.

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If I was in another country and I had to have an unlocked iphone, I'd just wait.

12. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Ditto. That being said, I just bought an iPHone 4 today. It came with 4.0.2 and 1.59 BB...

I decided to try and preserve my baseband.. just in case I ever wanted to sell it. I'm sure I could get more money if it was able to be unlocked. I'm on AT&T with no plans of switching, so I truthfully did not care if it upgraded or not.

I loaded up Tiny Umbrella, started TSS server, and 'restored' to 4.1. iPhone 4 with 1.59 Baseband and 4.1 iOS.

If you NEEDED an unlock though, i would not risk it. Who knows when/if another unlock would become available, and do you really want to have an iPhone you cant use for something as silly as Game center or 'HDR' photos? not worth it to me

13. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I dont care about Game Center at all. HDR is cool but I have Pro HDR app to touch up those that get nuked by the sun and have too much shadow (not enough detail). And as for Proximity sensor, for really long calls I have Call Guard app.

Honestly, the main lure of it for me are HDR (but I have it) and proximity sensor fix (but I've heard really mixed results -- plus I'm still not sure it's an issue with my phone, I think it's just when I move it around a lot).

I think you guys are right. Not worth chancing.

14. DBlockAllDay macrumors member

question if I try that method and restore to 4.1 I believe that leaves your phone as new. Could you then restore from backup to transfer pics/contacts/msgs etc. Or you cant?

15. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

You can select restore from a backup after installing 4.1 and it will not affect the FW or BB. I used TU to get from 4.0.1/1.59 to 4.1/1.59 recently with no issues and I restored from a backup (didn't setup as new phone). Everything was copied back over except for the JB apps, which I had to go add afterwards.

16. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

finally bit the bullet, works great. i think 4.1 fixed the proximity sensor issue i've been having. in my limited testing.

:)