Does anyone here use Onavo to shrink their iPhone data usage and save money???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, Nov 12, 2011.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

http://www.tipb.com/2011/05/05/onavo-app-claims-shrink-iphones-data-usage-save-money/

I heard about them awhile ago but never tried it as I was worried about a random company just coming out and having access to all of my data on the web + logins/passwords. I remember hearing though that since it reduces your data usage by 80% that you basically would get 1GB worth of data on Att's $15/mo 200mb plan :eek:

Now that they have been out for awhile and have almost 2000 ratings w/ a 4.5 star average has anyone used this app? Does it really help shrink your data usage? Does it slow down your data speeds?

Thanks for the info :)

2. scottweidig macrumors newbie

Like Onavo, but data slow down...

I have used Onavo in the past with the iPhone 4 and did not notice any perceptible data slow downs. However, I recently started using it with my 4S and I do notice slowdowns. These are backed up with speed tests running through speedtest.net. My ping times go from 70-100ms to 160-190ms and the dl data drops 1-2mb/sec on average. Say from 4.5 mb/sec to 2mb/sec. I was just doing a web search on this when I tripped across this post. I am looking to see if others are experiencing this as well.

When I remove Onavo, data speeds go up and ping time lowers... Re add and data speed drops and pings go up... This is consistent in the 7-8 trials I have done...

The compression Onavo states DOES happen though and on a limited plan, this could be huge savings.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You can't shrink your data usage by 80% without sacrificing something... Does it tell you how it shrinks your data usage?