Does anyone know how many ounces of gold is in the Edition?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Wallabe, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

I'm curious how much is in each one. At the current spot price, I can buy 8 one ounce coins and still have plenty left over for a sport or even a stainless steel model, considering the $10,000 price tag.

:p

2. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

How many marbles are in the jar? There will be many guesses but no one knows until they are counted.

There are questions about the alloy and whether Apple employed a method of using less gold while maintaining strength. Using a conventional alloy, some estimate around $1200 worth. Well just have to wait and see.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You could also buy 440 lbs of aluminum for the price of a Sport. :rolleyes:

4. Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's 18K, so it is 75% gold. I just need to know the weight of the case by itself. The remaining 25% of alloy doesn't really matter, they are relatively inexpensive metals used for strength.

----------

That's too heavy for what it's worth.

5. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Exactly. No one knows yet. There are estimates based on volume but they could be completely wrong if the alloy is different in volume than typical alloy while having the same mass.

6. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

The mass of the SS watch is 50 g (case only, including the electronics) for the 42 mm one.

The mass of the 18k gold watch is 69 g. (19 grams difference)
    Density of stainless steel is 8,027 g/cm3.
    Density of 18k gold (standard alloy) is 15,9 g/cm3, so roughly twice as much as stainless steel.

The difference in mass of the case materials is 19 g. Considering that the volume of every Apple watch is the same and that 18k gold is roughly twice as dense as stainless steel, we can conclude that the mass of gold in the edition is around 38 g, meaning $1100-$1200.

7. Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

So even if I give Apple plenty of room to maneuver, say each gold edition cost a total of $2000 (maybe more than 38g of gold in the case and the band, electronics, battery, screen, etc.), Apple will still make a profit of at least $8,000 from each watch. In any case, they will all be outdated after next year's model.

Way to go Apple.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Actually if my math is correct it would be 279.20 lbs of aluminum :D

NOTE: My math could be wrong, but I based this off of $.80 per pound of aluminum. Source: http://www.vincentmetals.com/1Pricing/Price_Data/

9. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Must be alumininium which is slightly more valuable due to the extra letters.

:cool:;)

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, it is what it's worth.

350/0.80=437.5

350/279.2=1.25 or $1.25 per pound.;)

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just for fun, according to this article, the elements in the human body are only worth about $160
    But, it would cost you about $45,000 to buy a heart, lungs, kidneys, bone marrow, etc.

The value isn't always in the component materials
    Yes, if you were buying gold, it is a poor value, but that isn't what you are buying

Personally, I would never buy the Edition
    But then again, I'm don't feel the need to buy a watch of any kind

12. Wallabe, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's the human value, and people are willing to pay.

Otherwise, if I had a wife, I would upgrade her for a newer model every year.

Anyone here still married to their first iPhone? I would want to upgrade to the latest. Younger, faster, slimmer, less expensive to work with, lasts longer throughout the day. :)

13. rcooncetx, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

rcooncetx macrumors newbie

Next Year's Model

I've been hearing so many referrals to this new watch becoming outdated quickly. Mine is a different viewpoint. My understanding is Jony Ives, one of the best designers on the planet, spent more than a year designing this watch. He likes watches, has watch books in his office, and speaks of tradition as a consideration in his design. As a traditionalist, he knows that upscale watches last decades, and there is no reason this cannot do the same. Apple will surely add new designs and new materials (platinum) as time goes on, but how ridiculous would it be to have no way to upgrade the technology in this beautiful watch? The time is now for the watch due to the continuous miniaturization of electronics. New models will not have larger inside components; they will have smaller components - which will make it easy to exchange the technology of the first iteration for whatever latest technology comes along. I would like to hear Apple speak to this issue and lay concerns to rest. I'm buying the stainless steel model as soon as it's available to pre-order. And I'll be truly shocked if Apple fails to offer upgrades of the technology as needed to keep this future heirloom performing with the latest models.

14. ksuyen macrumors 6502a

ksuyen

LOL you haven't even married yet to the first Watch, and already looking for the newer thing... Such a perversion.:D

15. Wallabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free. ;)

Based on all previous Apple products, or any other products, nothing lasts forever. Enjoy it while it lasts. When a newer one comes along, jump.

How many here would say the iPhone 6/6+ is the greatest thing ever and would never upgrade again?