Does anyone know of a Sega Game Gear emulator for OS9/10.1?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by alexreich, Feb 11, 2012.

1. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I've tried MasterGear for OS 9, but the audio was extremely choppy. It would put out some kind of screeching noise for the high notes, and it would put out a sound similar to TV static on the low ones. I've tried to ignore it, but it's very annoying. I've also tried playing without sound (muted), but the experience just doesn't feel right. There must be sound for the game to be fun!

Any feedback would be great.

By the way, I am aware that there are Game Gear emulators for Tiger. I have yet to purchase a Tiger installation, so any recommendations to upgrade and then install something for Tiger are useless. I need an emulator for Mac OS 9, or Mac OS 10.1 Puma.

-Alex :apple:

2. goMac macrumors 603

It sounds like the machine may also not be fast enough. Emulation takes a lot more CPU power than you'd think, especially accurate ones. The most accurate Super Nintendo emulator can still bring a 2 ghz machine to it's knees.

3. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Really?

A Nintendo emulator can cripple a 2GHz Intel or PPC? Damn! I'm running this emulator on an old 500MHz G3 processor! Haha. I must be expecting too much, thanks for the reality check. I feel rather stupid now.

Do you think the emulator's performance would be any better on a 450MHz G4 machine?

BTW: The game itself runs just fine, it's just the audio that's sketchy.

4. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

It might. It's worth a try since you already have them on hand. I don't have any experience with Sega emulators (or Sega consoles, for that matter), but I've used SNES and PS1 emulators on lesser machines. Heck, the Connectix VGS ran just fine on a 233MHz iMac.

5. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Thanks for your input. I'm going to try on one of my PowerMac G4's. What PS1 emulator did you use? and on what Mac OS? I've been looking for one for Mac myself and you telling me what worked for you could save a lot of time! :)

6. ThunderSnake, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

It was Connectix Virtual Game Station (or CVGS). It wasn't sold for very long because Sony got a temporary injunction against its sale when they sued Connectix for copyright infringement. Sony eventually lost the case, but then they purchased VGS from Connectix just to get it off the market.

I just Googled it and found a couple of download sites, though. I think it's against the rules for me to post a link, but you should be able to find it without much difficulty.

I used it with OS9 on my Sawtooth G4 400MHz single CPU. I actually used it before that on a 9600 with a 604e, but it wasn't that good. It was perfect on the Sawtooth, though. Later I moved it to a 400 MHz iMac G3 just to have a dedicated gaming computer and to pry my wife, who became addicted to Final Fantasy, away from my new G4. It worked very well on that machine too.

IIRC, when Connectix unveiled this at Macworld, they gave their demonstration using the lowliest 233MHz iMac G3. It was choppy on my 200MHz 9600 604e with a PCI Rage, but it should be fine on any G3.

7. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Very cool man. Thanks for the info. I'll post back once I get the chance to try that Game Gear emulator on a G4.