Does anyone know what I need (acct related) to buy an Iphone 3gs at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by y2flyy, Jun 30, 2009.

1. y2flyy macrumors member

Asking because I currently have an Iphone 3g on my account but not upgrade eliglble until 2028 lol!.....But someone else on my same account (whom is the owner of the account) is upgrade eligible.
    Can I just goto the Apple Store with that persons and the accounts info (ssn, billing zip,etc....) and pretend its me (with the person's permission)
    Would Apple Store sell me the iPhone?
    What documents, etc.... are required to buy an iphone at an Apple Store?

2. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Uh since you used "pretend" it's me. Then no, I doubt they would sell it to you as to the owner of the account needs to sign some things and prove identification such as a DL. I know my dad did when we both went up to upgrade our phones. He was able to upgrade and didn't have an iPhone. And I was also able to upgrade as well with an iPhone.

See, my friend did this a month or so ago. He was able to upgrade his phone so he did. Then he really wanted the iPhone so he took his mom upgrade option and gave her his "new" old phone.

3. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

Ok what if I am an authorized user on the account? and I have all the account information, etc....

4. BranWOW macrumors newbie

I was told apple is strict and only the actual account holder can make purchases in apple stores. I remember reading it on apples website too, I'll try to find the link.

5. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alot bro, I'd really appreciate that....

6. PURCELL429 macrumors member

Yeah, I ran into this problem a few days ago... ONLY the account holder can purchase the phone in an apple store. As an authorized user, you can purchase it in an ATT store. In the apple store, they looked at my drivers license and asked for the last 4 digits of my social before they told me I couldn't get one that day.

7. gco212 macrumors 6502

Picking up my iPhone was one of the times I love having the same name as my dad.

8. PURCELL429 macrumors member

Heh, I guess they didn't think i was my mom when I went to the store.