does anyone not have an email linked to their phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Dec 31, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i use Gmail, but i just use the mobile site. am i mising anything by doing this? i had my account thru the iOS at one time, but it wasn't very clean/organized. plus i figure i save battery this way.

anyone else not use the integrated email??

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Have Both

Email accounts setup through IOS, what you see is exactly the same as you do when logging in on the net.

It saves time and hassle, your folders are clearly displayed. I wouldn't want to have to log in every time I wanted to check mail.

The second account is the free @me account provided recently.

3. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i don't use that @me one....is it just a regular personal email?

and i have gmail as a favorite and it's already pre-logged in.. so i 'm good :D

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I don't use the integrated email, I _was_ using the same method you are.

Then Google released a new Gmail App version 1.1 via iTunes App Store on Dec 14th 2011. Ignore the low rating of three stars.

I find it an outstanding App. It gives the same easy access to labels & other features as one experiences on the desktop via Mac or PC.

It's free. Give it a try, I feel confident you may like it as much as I do. Here's the link.

http://is.gd/PLG7bO

5. NoHo macrumors 6502

I'm a fan of the gmail app. I deleted all my native iOS email accounts and my battery seems to be better.

Only problem is if you want to email a picture or video, it makes you set an account up through the native iOS email app. Anyone know a way around this?

6. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i saw the app and score so i said forget it...but i'll give it a shot.. u think it's better than mobile site?

also anyone else not use the @me address? what is it intended for

----------

what about just going to the mobile site if you know ur gonna need to send a pic or vid

so this def beats the mobile site?

7. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Are you wondering whether anyone does or does not use the @me.com address? I use it all the time. It serves the same purpose as any other email account. I can access my @me.com email from all of my iDevices, on my Macs or through iCloud.com if i'm out and about and for some ungodly reason don't have my iDevices within reach.

8. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

You can send a pic/video via the gmail app click on the paper clip?

9. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Well he probably wants the option to choose the gmail app instead of the email when sending a pic from the cameral roll without opening the app. And no there is no way

Anyways the gmail app is just like the web browser IMO is an app the open the web browser ain't perfect but no bad neither. I only use email for credit cards and such so I used the stock app and for work I use the organization email set up on my iPhone which works fine

10. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I have no idea what it's for.

I set my notes to sync with icloud on Friday and I was forced into creating an @me account.

There was no explanation as to why I needed to.

I already have an email address that people use to send me emails so I am not going to suddenly change to using an @me one.

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Hilarious. You make it sound as if Apple forced you to shell out money to buy an @me.com address. It was free for crissakes.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The explanation is pretty obvious, isn't it? iCloud needs to identify you somehow, so it knows which devices belong to whom. The easiest way to do that is create a username.

You aren't bound or required to use that e-mail address. So, don't use it.

13. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My apple Id works for iCloud

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I don't use @me email either ... I currently have 3 email addresses set up, a domain name email, a Ymail address and a work email.

15. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I use the native app withmy gmail. I like the experience. I use labels quite heavily so everything is organized quite well.

16. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

So what is my iTunes ID for then? Every time I do anything with apple it asks me for my iTunes ID. That proves to apple who I am and what devices are mine.

It does NOT make sense that I need an @me email address too, so don't be so glib and try and make out I am an idiot.

I have been using iCloud successfully for weeks prior to switching on NOTES SYNC which is when it asked me/forced me to make an @me address.

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Notes synchronise to the iCloud mail servers. In order to enable this, you need to have an iCloud mail account, which is why you are prompted to create one (all iCloud mail accounts have a @me.com address) when you enable notes sync. You don't have to use it for anything else, but that's why you have to create one.

18. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I have my work email set up via imap, and 2 comcast accounts that I turn on and off as needed.

And me.com which is turned off.