Does anyone play Words With Friends?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Apr 22, 2012.

1. TH55, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

TH55 macrumors 68030

Great game, play it quite a bit. Some things really bother me about it though. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced these.

1. Perhaps my biggest annoyance, does anyone ever accidentally hit "recall" when attempting to hit "play"? This happens to me a lot, because when I go to press play, sometimes it doesn't detect it and unless I'm looking straight at it and notice it did not click it I go to hit "submit", which is located right above recall, and I hit recall, completely undoing a word I had just arranged. Very irritating, it happens multiple times, every time I play. This could easily be fixed by switching the "swap" (which becomes recall when tiles are on the board) and "shuffle" buttons would separate play and recall, solving the problem. Shuffle becomes inactive when tiles are on the board

2. Also, does anyone ever accidentally click those stupid Facebook/twitter links? So annoying. If we pay for the game it should not be cluttered with ads, if I click "no" to the initial prompt to sync my game w Facebook and twitter it should leave me alone, I don't need to have it in the way of my game where I click it by mistake almost daily.

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I don't play it but I also really hate when I pay for a game and still have them advertise their other apps or ask you to sync your account.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Are you sure you have the paid version installed? Mine doesn't run ads and it's the paid for version...

4. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes, I'm not talking about the pop-up advertisements between moves, but all of the banners and links cluttering the game.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I guess I don;t see the problem. I have no banners while in a game. I guess there are links to other games you can play when choosing to start a game. Is that what you mean? Because while in a game, I see nothing...

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ya that's what I'm talking about, although there also are links to the store in the actual game under the new "more" tab. Also intrusive

7. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I dont really get around to playing that anymore.. I love scramble with friends though.. wife and i are super addicted to that game

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Seriously? I got bored w scramble after Like 2 games

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's a lot faster paced, so I can see that being fun. Words with friends I sometimes end up waiting ages for the other guy to take a turn (or for the server to update the info).

10. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

I used to play it... But now Angry words seems better... Better UI and loads a hell lot faster... And to play with my wp friends there is words by post...

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. No one at all. :D

Seriously? Subjective. Not sure why you assume that what you find interesting or boring is a universal matter.

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I understand taste is subjective to a degree, but the quality and simplicity of gameplay is a very measurable thing, as evidenced by professional reviewers and ratings. I just found it hard to understand how one could find scramble w friends to be anywhere near as fun and diverse as words. Scramble is very limited in scope and repetitive

13. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

did you hear? draw something is the new word with friends ;)

jk jk

i love words, just hate how people can continuely guess configurations of letters until they find one thats a real word. they should have a way of slowing this down at least. idk. just frustraing when your girlfriend gets a word for 30 pots that is "Zah" or something i know she had no idea was a real word.

14. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Are you saying you also think draw something sucks? I think it's the worst "popular" game I've ever played

15. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

16. PsychopathicYak macrumors newbie

I too think that Draw Something is somewhat overrated... Although I like the concept!

17. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, except the concept is not original, it's Pictionary. The execution and game play for a digital device, is terrible. When you erase or discard your drawing and start over, it is included in the replay....makes no sense. Only the production of the final drawing should be shown. Also, every time you close and reopen the app it literally reboots from the start, so you have to sit and wait for it to load. And on top of all of this, the actual implementation and gameplay is poor. They somehow managed to make a simple and classic game like Pictionary boring.

18. breezyf808 macrumors regular

Scramble with friends is whats up for me and friends now

19. PsychopathicYak macrumors newbie

You have a fair point there, I never downloaded it myself, but on top of those problems I hear that it's quite buggy... like a few friends have had random crashes, and multiple crashes when playing with certain players.

20. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I use word feud instead not sure if it's on iOS? Words With Friends on iOS and Android to me sucked, was such a battery hog. Also 95% of the time it was slow as hell, I could be right next to my gf and one of us would make a move and the other wouldn't get it for minutes+ at a time and other times it was almost immediate, and sometimes it just wouldn't get it for a long time even after resetting the app and waiting. Never had that happen with word feud.

21. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

If they ever change the name to "Words and Other Combinations of Letters That Seem Like Words but Actually Aren't Words With Friends" I'll start playing again. Otherwise it's gotten too dumb for me.

22. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ha!

Has anyone noticed with the newest update when you quit a game you now are prompted with a new popup that only gives you the options of rematching or starting a new game with a random? The only way to decline these options is to click this little x in the corner that almost always takes at least 2 or 3 clicks bc it is so small. If you end a game, most of the time you just wanted to end the game. Why do they make the most popular option so difficult?? What was wrong with the old popup that just let u click "ok" and be done like u wanted to??!! Yet another insanely irritating "fix" to something that wasn't broken in this game.

23. Laidbackal macrumors regular

24. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

My gf & I play and seems like she takes forever to respond. Little did I know that she had some sort of cheat for finding words to fit with the letters that she had. Now it chess lol… :rolleyes:

25. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Anybody get duplicate "so and so resigned" pop-ups like 3 in a row?