Does anyone really use the left side of home aka search?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hreyhrey, Mar 21, 2012.

1. hreyhrey macrumors member

I hate that more thananything on my two iOS devices iPad and iPhone. I wish I had the option to instead use it for more apps like android since I have never and wil never use that damn search feature what a waste!!

2. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

It's really not a waste when you absolutely cannot remember where an app is and need to search for it. Or if you need to search for something else you need. And if you need a screen for more apps, you could always just swipe in the other direction. ;)

4. appleii2mac macrumors regular

I use it all the time on my iPhone. Not really on my iPad though, as I spent more time organizing things into folders. Plus the folders hold more apps I believe.

5. Mshilling macrumors regular

I use it on my phone and ipad. I really should just pull the PNC app out because thats mainly what I go looking for!

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah, I use it to launch apps that aren't on the first couple pages of the iPad.

7. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

When I first started out I never used it. Now that I have tons of apps and can't always remember exactly where one is, or it's in a folder several pages away, I use the search a couple times a week.

8. hreyhrey thread starter macrumors member

Ok than lol guess I'm the only one but still I'd love to be able to remove it

9. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Never use it. Hate it. Can't wait until I can JB the damn thing. The first tweak I'll install in No Spot.

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I rarely open the folder that I put apps in and I never open contacts to find the person I want to call. I always use the search function and type the first 2 or 3 letters and it pops right up.

11. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

With the Amount of folders and apps I got, I use it. I wish it was incorporated a whole lot better (like the drop down notification). Hoping for the day iOS gets redesigned so its a lot more fun to customize/use.

12. Oman macrumors regular

You talking about spotlight search! I would go crazy without that.. I absolutely do not open any apps thats not on my first screen by clicking on the icon. I always use spotlight. I have search for everything turned off except apps on my iPadd. I have everything turned off except apps and contacts on my iPhone.

13. mouthster macrumors regular

I rely on this feature heavily. I don't have time to flick through pages to find "that one app" like a dingus.

14. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

I use it constantly, don't even organize or care about the running order of the 60+ apps I've got on various homescreens. On Page 1 I organize the things I need one-click access to. For all apps on all other pages, I use search.

Try it, you'll understand.

BJ

15. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

No, you're not the only one. I think we should definitely be able to disable it. I've only found it useful when my phone was jailbroken.

I've use sbsettings to actually hide icons. you could still launch through search in the rare event I needed it.

If you don't keep pages upon pages of apps I don't see the point.

You can't do search on server for mail, which would be useful. eh, no point for me.

16. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I can see how some people may find it useful but I've never used it. However, I guess it's nice to know its there if I do happen to need it.

17. hideous cheese macrumors member

I never use it on my iPhone and everyday am thankful for the jailbreak tweak NoSpot which disables access to the spotlight page.

Maybe I'll find a use for it on the iPad. Time will tell.

18. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Of course! To quickly find an app, song, contact or note.

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The search function is a very powerful tool. DO not know how many contacts you have but I have so many that without search, I would be lost.

Apple better not move it.

20. jazzy639 macrumors member

21. donnaw macrumors 65816

I never use it on my iPad and wish I could remove it. I have my apps organized into folders on the first page so they are really easy to find. I don't have an iPhone but I can see how it would be invaluable there especially for contacts.

22. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

Very rarely use it, as far as contacts, music, searching email, I use Siri for those things.

23. elmz macrumors regular

That is the first thing I get rid off on my iDevices after its jailbroken. It's called nospot.