Does anyone smoke Cigarettes ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fab5freddy, Feb 2, 2008.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Just curious, Does anyone reading this forum smoke cigarettes ?

I think it is rather disgusting to even watch people smoke...
    I am currently living in New York City, and i see loads of people
    smoking cigarettes on the street.

How can people in year 2008 still smoke ?
    I just don't get it....It baffles my mind that people still smoke....

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It baffles my mind that you couldn't find the massive amounts of threads on this very topic by searching. :p

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

can we close this thread?

ive seen more interesting topics in a morgue forum

4. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

so, i guess you 2 guys smoke.... i'd put $ 20 on that.

and like you're posts are any more interesting mr. vincebio... sure...

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Marlboro lights (or golds as I think they are called now) however planning on giving up very soon.

6. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I think that's a fair bet.

I am also amazed that people smoke and the sheer amount of them, but I live in Canada so compared to the USA the number of smokers is a lot lower.

On one of my few trips to the US I was stunned by people smoking on busses and in restaurants. :eek: It's been so many years since that has been legal up here that it was truly like going back to the 1970's or something. Why would anyone be allowed to smoke in a restaurant? Boggles the mind really.

The real answer though is that smoking is a simple drug addiction, similar to any other drug addiction. Even the smokers don't really want to smoke, they just think they do because they are addicted the same as any crack-head or junkie is.

Once you clean them up and "dry them out" they become normal again and usually don't want to smoke. But convincing them of that when they are "on a bender" is almost impossible. :)

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This reminds me of an experience I had a few years ago. I was dining with a friend (we are both non-smokers) and someone lit up a cigarette next to us. My friend leaned over to him and said, "Hey, why don't you just sh*t on my plate?" Awesome. :D :cool:

If smokers want to abuse their health, give themselves heart and lung disease, or whatever complications (take your pick, there are many!), it honestly doesn't bother me - people can do with their bodies as they wish. However once a harmful addiction starts impacting people who choose not to engage in such destructive behavior, then I have a problem. This is why I am for smoking bans in public places. Smoke all you want, but I don't want to breathe in the second-hand consequences of your destructive choices. To me it's no different than being a heroin addict, and instead of just injecting yourself with heroin, you run around the street injecting other people you run into as well!

Smoke if you want, just keep your addictions to yourself. :)

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

9. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Dear rockthecasbah, i really don't there can be enough threads about this topic.... read on:

yeah, it seems to me that all smokers are oblivious to
    the news and scientific reports for the last 20 years...

Smokers are walking around in a haze, ignoring all scientific proof
    that it will make you, ill, kill you, cause disgusting pflem in your throat,
    decrease you impotence, make you smell bad, cost you loads of money,
    etc...

10. sowillo14 macrumors regular

The last time I checked this was still a free country. People can do WTF they want to themselves. It is people like you who have to stick their noses in others business that ruin freedom for the rest of us. Why don't you worry about yourself, and go on a diet or something. Or while your at it, you can take a cholesterol test of everyone on the forum, then preach to us about animal fats.

11. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

NEWS FLASH... We know all of that, but it's up to us if we smoke or not.

But I will say one thing, if everyone in the UK stopped smoking Income tax would have to go up to cover the loss of tax to the government. So we are really doing everyone a favour by smoking...

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Completely agree, this is exactly as I mentioned in my above post. People can and should be able to do whatever they want to themselves as long as it doesn't negatively impact others.

13. ----Bowie----, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  14. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Only if you do it in your house. When you are in a public space you are not the only one to consider.

This is called "civilised" behaviour. :)

Not so much.

If all the smokers stopped smoking the decrease in health-care costs would mostly offset the loss of tax revenue.

I am in favor of people being able to do whatever the hell they want, but only as far as it doesn't affect others. So to me, a rational drug policy is one that allows people to take and get addicted to whatever drugs they want, but pretty much to "keep it at home."

Most countries already do this with popular legal drugs like alcohol. It's legal for an adult to buy and consume it, but there are still laws against being drunk in public or driving a car under the influence.

15. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

Ok, lets do it like this.
    Your point has been noted.
    We respect your wish that there can't be too many threads about this topic, and you respect the forum rules not to start new threads on a topic already discussed?
    Agreed?

...and just to satisfy your curiosity freddy...No, I do NOT smoke. I contrary to you, I believe that people are free to do as they wish as long as they don't interfere on others.

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Except, of course, for the high medical costs incurred by your demonstrably poorer-than-if-you-didn't-smoke health.

I have no problem with people screwing up their own bodies. But I do have an issue with them screwing up mine (toxic smoke) or with them eating up my taxes to cover their poor health.

17. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

Agreed. However, I am not sure whether second-hand smoking or intolerance worries me the most.
    Second-hand smoking has most surely caused many lives, but I do think that intolerance in all its forms have caused many many more lives.

I don't know about you, but ideas like that scares me.

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Mmmmm.
    [​IMG]

19. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As long as he doesn't eat up my tax money or affect my health, yes.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh lord. It's amazing the amount of threads started in these forums just for the sole purpose of wailing on smokers. It really is getting tired, don't you all think? You've made your point, you've passed your laws, and really it's getting to be a bit obsessive. You hate smokers. We get it already.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think it's disgusting and I don't want to be around anyone who is smoking or still reeks of smoke from their last cigarette.

23. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

That is what I said.
    Moreover most smokers tend to die before they get eligible for medicare and/or retirement and thus, according to some studies, actually costs less than someone that gets very old and can use the social services for a very long time.

24. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1