Does Anyone's iPhone 5 Vibrator Make Noise?

Fazzl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
The vibrator on my iPhone makes a strange rattle after it vibrates. Like right after it finishes vibrating, I hear a slight rattle. It's super annoying when I'm on a call and I get a text, it's very noticeable at that time. Anyone else have a similar issue? It's not a loose battery.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Yes, but I can't replicate it every time. My phone rattles slightly with the same noise when I shake it though so I'm guessing it's just that part that's moving.

It's not a battery issue here either (it's a rattle not a thump), kinda like my 4S, so it's probably just the autofocus thing that everyone was complaining about in previous years.

MaC rA mE

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
When mine is vibrating and I give it a little shake, it sounds like it is grazing something. I think this is normal unless anyone else can tell me otherwise.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Mine has a similar sound too. Sort of a loud buzzing sound from the speaker area when the vibrate motor starts up. Its especially noticeable in the ringtone menu under Settings/Sounds/Ringtones if you cycle through the different sounds rather quickly. I tested this out on 3 display models in the store earlier today and they all had the same noise, so I think it may be normal (or defective in every phone).

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I read somewhere that they went back to the "noisy" vibrate motor that was in the iPhone 4, as opposed to the better component that was in the 4s.

Ironic that I use vibrate for when I want my phone to be silent, yet it still makes one hell of a noise!