Does anyone's MBA get very warm/hot when watching videos on Youtube?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by CardboardGiant, Aug 25, 2011.

1. CardboardGiant macrumors regular

I tried playing a flash video from Niconico (Japanese youtube) and the area around the "wasd" keys got warm quickly. Also felt the fans kicking in.

Can MBA's play videos in youtube?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes they can.

3. CardboardGiant thread starter macrumors regular

Does your MBA get warm when playing Youtube videos?

4. Abby21 macrumors member

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Get smcFanControl and/or iStat and give us some temperatures. "warm/hot" doesn't really say much.

6. 2IS macrumors 68030

Why are people around here so OCD about everything? Who cares if it gets warm. Computers get warmer during load vs an idle state. It's completely normal. When things get warm, fans spin faster. Another completely normal phenomenon. And is that a serious question? "can the mba play youtube videos?" $300 netbooks play youtube vids.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

it isn't just OCD, some people just don't know. No reason to harp. My machine runs in the 90 C when I'm playing a game. if I didn't know anything, I'd freak out too.

Just because you are informed doesn't give you the right to harp on people who aren't; provide constructive criticism, if that.

Being negative does less than saying nothing at all.

8. CardboardGiant thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm. I'm playing a 3-minute long youtube video right now as I type. the "wasd" keys doesn't get as hot anymore. But I can feel the fans spinning.

The video I was playing earlier today was a 30 minute long video on Niconico.

Interesting... :confused:

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Not really. But "warm" is relative. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are worried, get smcfancontrol which is a utility that will tell you your temperature and let you play around with the fans.

As long as you stay UNDER 100C, you will be fine. :D

10. 2IS macrumors 68030

Yes, you're right. My apologies to the thread starter if my post seemed insulting or negative.

11. CardboardGiant thread starter macrumors regular

Not offended at all. I don't take things from internet personally.

You make a good point anyway. I just received my Macbook Air Ultimate 13 and have been using it for 3 days... My OCD phase will wear out in 2 weeks or so :p

So far my MBA has been pretty smooth. Everything works perfectly and it's LIGHTNING FAST! compared to my 2010 MBP.

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Oh yea; I'm definitely treating myself to a good SSD and some RAM later this year.

I do it all of the time too; as a regular forum user (not only here but many others), it's easy to just get irritated seeing the same thing posted over and over and, after a while, you start telling people to "just search in google or here" instead of providing answers lol.

13. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

@CardboardGiant:
    You can use
    http://www.youtube.com/html5
    within Safari (disable all plugins within Safari).

Safari uses the GPU to decode the HTML5 version.

14. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Flash is known to kick up your CPU% and fans, and perhaps make your laptop a little warmer then if you were just surfing the web. You probably have a Netflix account as well? Silverlight will do the same, so don't worry if you notice the same.

You have nothing to worry about. Many members use click2flash, or click2plugin to block Flash elements in order to extend battery life and allow for a faster website loading experience.

Should you choose to download the plugin it will block flash plugins on any website and give you the option of loading them (by clicking on the placeholder) if you choose to.

http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

Please read the descriptions carefully and download the proper plugin for your browser.

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I would suggest just downloading something from the official store for whatever browser you use. Much easier and safer than going the off site route as posted above ^

Just type whatever browser and "extensions" after it and go to the official landing site.

Chrome extensions
    Opera Extensions
    Safari Extensios
    Firefox add ons

16. CardboardGiant thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the constructive and helpful advice everyone!

I'm using Chrome and have used Flashblocker and Adblocker extension. It really does strip every site from their advertisements, making the site a lot nicer!

I can play youtube videos no problem now... my MBA doesn't even get hot at all! I guess it was just an issue with NicoNico (it was, after all 30 minutes long and thus MBA was working hard to load all that flash content).

17. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

I don't know if "much safer" is accurate. Click2plugin/flash is software that has been vetted by countless Mac users. Being that it is so popular, there is a lot of information regarding its uses and issues.

Safari extensions - doesn't give relevant hits for flash blockers. Also blockers you will potentially find on Chrome and FF extensions are written by individual software engineers or companies and posted in their respective app stores. It doesn't make them better. Just available.

18. Nioxic macrumors regular

Not "ouch it's hot"

But yeah the heat does increase.

really it does nomatter what its doing except when browsing and using general programs like text-programs and such.

Why does it keep surprising everyone?

the MBA doesn't have a highend gfx card that can play a 1080p video without even getting increased heartrate..

Wonder when next thread comes up about this :p

19. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

i found watching videos on Netflix (Silverlight), Comedy Central (Flash), etc., really annoying on the 11". the fans would kick in pretty quick and LOUD. with the tiny speakers on that thing, the relative volume made this essentially a no go. i've been meaning to read up/ask around about this.

Note: Hulu's player is a bit more efficient. so i would watch the Daily Show there instead.

20. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

You're right about the Hulu, Flash runs more efficiently there. You're not alone Netflix sucks for me too. It's okay, but I'd love to one day see 10% CPU usage and 60C tops, w/ fans 3K. Yea right!

21. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Netbooks play video's nice & cool, just like my Windows laptops.

Macs run warm it's just how it is. Heat is the enemy of electronics. That's why Macs tend to go thru circuit boards. Since it's normal for them, the Mac owners simply don't know any better. That doesnt make it bad, just different.

Like Steve advertised for years "Think Different" and he's right.