Does Aperture also not allow to you find photos in finder like iphoto 08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nafai23, Apr 13, 2008.

1. nafai23 macrumors regular

I am a hardcore PC guy going for the switch with a mac pro that should be arriving soon.

I am excited but the one thing that baffles me is iphoto 08. I want a photo management program but I do not want to deal with not being about to access my photos in the finder. My wife's macbook drives me crazy with this. If I want to upload an image to a website or forum I want to have some control over this.

Does aperture's database do the same thing or can I still get to the photos in finder?

thanks for any help
    Chad

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

no

Nope.

Why does iPhoto bother you? If you need to upload a photo, drag it from iPhoto to the desktop. Do with it what you need to and trash it. MUCH simpler than tons of folders on top of folders.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If you want to upload an image for use on the web, there are two ways using Aperture, that immediately come to mind (there must be more!).

There is a facility in the file menu that enables you to email images straight from Aperture and into the "Mail" application.

If you want to download an image, you can export it to a specific location such as the desktop, at the same time choosing the size and format (i.e. JPEG, TIFF etc).

Also, remember that these are completely non-destructive to the master files held in the Aperture Library so it is impossible to damage or "loose" anything!.

When I switched over to Aperture, the first thing I did was to get rid of all the clutter of files used by iPhoto (after making sure I had the master files!!)

4. nafai23 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks john,

but say I wanted to attach a photo to this post right now....

Could I find it in the finder that pops up quickly? or at all?
    or would I have to first drag a copy to the desktop?
    chad

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Chad,

Not too difficult!! Highlight the photos you want to download. Go to File > Export > Version. In the next window, you will see it will save by default to the desktop - but you can change this. In the box "Export Preset" choose the format you want to save in (i.e. JPEG, TIFF etc) and either select a suggested size of create your own.Click on "export version" and the job's done!! :)

6. nafai23 thread starter macrumors regular

So if I choose to put my photos in aperture :
    I have to open aperture and do what is listed below just to post a photo to the forum. I guess that is what drives me mad. Compared to vista in almost every regard things just seem to work better but in this instance to have to do that much to upload a photo to the web is just plain silly. Dragging a copy to the desktop seems to be a good compromise though.

Of course I know I could choose not to use either program and it would work exactly the same as it does on the PC but I do like the idea of a powerful photo management database. (as long as it gives me direct access to my photos in the finder when needed)

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm confused. My Aperture library appears in all system Open dialogues including the one for attachments. The whole structure is there and it's searchable as normal. It under Photos in the MEDIA group on the sidebar...

8. nafai23 thread starter macrumors regular

That is excellent if it does show up. I will certainly use aperture then.

Does aperture lack any of iphoto's features?

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Erm, iPhotos library does the same. It shows up in all system wide Open dialogues. It's a Leopard feature.

10. nafai23 thread starter macrumors regular

I have read many articles about how iphoto 08 does not allow access into the file structure and it certainly does not on my wife's macbook. I cannot view photo in the library in the finder at all.
    There are freeware programs such as iphototogmail that function just so you can upload photos to the web based version of gmail. Why would that exist if it shows up in open dialogues?

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm not talking about the Finder. Aperture is the same (unless you choose to use referenced masters for everything).

Apple realised that people wanted access to their media files but are not comfortable giving people the ability to screw stuff up. So they enhanced the Open dialogues to be able to understand the library structures of iPhoto and Aperture (and iTunes...).

So now you can see all your photos, with the library structure intact, and choose the image you want. Note the library structure thing: all your albums, smart albums etc are all there. They wouldn't be if they just exposed the directory structure in the Finder.

This is one of the 300+ features Apple claim to have added to Leopard.