Does Apple’s Silicone case provide any drop protection?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TH55, May 31, 2019.

1. TH55, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019

TH55 macrumors 68030

I like how it feels and how slim it is but is it basically useless in terms of drop protection?

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

They do a decent job. They cover all the corners, which is the primary point where the front or back will break. However, they do not provide any protection against screen-first impact with the ground. I would strongly recommend getting a tempered glass screen protector for piece of mind and you'll be set.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I’ve got the Belkin Invisiglass, but doesn’t the lip of the silicone case provide any protection as well?

4. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Good screen protector with oleophobic coating
    Fit is excellent and it will protect your screen from micro scratching
    Apple installs this screen protector in store with a special machine. Which allows for a bubble less adhesion and perfect alignment
    Belkin also warranties the product

5. chrfr macrumors 604

If the surface you drop the phone on is flat and smooth, then yes, the silicone case offers some protection.

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Isn’t that the same deal w any case?

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I love that they do this. The results are perfect.

8. nicho macrumors 68020

I had a 3rd party plastic/hard case for my iphone 6 and the results were less than stellar. Case splintered in the corner and glass was damaged right at the edge going about an inch up. Lip of the smart battery case covered the damage so it wasn't a huge issue, i did have to declare that if the screen broke during battery replacement it wasn't apple's problem.

Contrast my iphone 7, i managed to flip that into the air to head height and watch it drop on a concrete pavement. Landed right in the corner. Case took all of the impact, no damage to the phone except a little chip next to the speaker grill. Case was badly damaged though - had to replace it.

Since then I've sworn by a) apple silicone cases and b) trying harder not to do stupid stuff with my phone.

9. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

That story is very reassuring as I really like the feel of this Silicone case and was hoping it wasn’t all style no substance.

10. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I use the silicon case and I’ve dropped it countless times and I have never broken my phone. It is my go to phone case.

11. chugg macrumors regular

It's a pretty thick case so I'd imagine it would provide decent drop protection. Feels pretty sturdy to me.

12. taoisawesome macrumors newbie

make sure you use it with a tempered glass screen porotector, and then you are fully covered