Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Tried to call in the store and after telling them it was for a MBA and the Serial #, they said I would have to pay $20 for them to take the call.

Will they replace screens in the Apple Stores and how long does it usually take. My 2011 MBA is out of warranty but AMEX is covering it since they extend it out a year.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Will they replace screens in the Apple Stores and how long does it usually take. My 2011 MBA is out of warranty but AMEX is covering it since they extend it out a year.

Whether or not your particular store does or not, you'd have to ask them. They can certainly send it to depot if they want.

It is a field-replaceable part as they replace the entire top case. The screen is glued-in.

The store I usually deal with did mine in a couple of hours (but they had the part already).

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Most if not all Apple Stores do repairs at the store. How long it takes depends on how busy the store is and if they have the part in stock. It could be the same day or it could be 3 to 5 days.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Most if not all Apple Stores do repairs at the store. How long it takes depends on how busy the store is and if they have the part in stock. It could be the same day or it could be 3 to 5 days.

Yeah, I took the laptop in and they said 3-5 days would be their quickest turn around. They do repairs on a first come first serve basis, so I wasn't able to put myself on a queue and come back later to drop it off. Pretty annoying since we use it for work.

Here is the breakdown for the repair costs before taxes:
Display Module: $453.41
Hardware Repair Labor: $39

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
It is a field-replaceable part as they replace the entire top case. The screen is glued-in.

Nope. The display assembly is not glued to the top case assembly at all. It is a separate replaceable part on all models of the MacBook Air.

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
From all the videos I have seen online, it is glued on. I also found this thread which says it is a pita to repair yourself. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1495638/

Oh, you mean the actual LCD panel inside the display assembly. Yeah, that's different. But at the Apple Store, they do entire clamshell replacements, not just the LCD panel.

Also, the "top case" is the plate with the keyboard, not the cover behind the LCD panel - that part is simly referred to as the display assembly clamshell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.