Does Apple have a worm inside it now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pandaboots, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Pandaboots macrumors regular

Pandaboots

Seems Apple is starting to get a little rotten lately. I think they have totally missed with the iPhone. Here's what they are doing to us: (Fanboys please suspend your disbelief for a few minutes)

1) Cheapen the product with a glossy (as opposed to matte) plastic. This will be a scratch magnet and make us want to replace our phones in a quicker cycle.

2) Lower the price, so they can sell tons of em, and they will make up the lost revenue with the new App store (through the revenue sharing)

3) Allow AT&T to price gouge us every month with increases and contract renewals for upgraders

Aside from the inevitable 3G, the new iPhone is still yesterday's specs with its lack of flash support, cheap camera, and 16G max?????? wth is that all about?

[Maybe they should have branded this phone the iPhone Air.]

I would have gladly paid $599 for a 32GB, with >2.0 megapixel camera, with an all aluminum chasis. (video capability would have been nice) And what ever happened to the supposed $99/month unlimited everything plans?

Man, seems if you buy an iPhone, you've sold your soul to the devil, because this crap will continue. The iPhone will see a major update annually and there will be some reason to upgrade to it, which in turn will require a new 2 year contract at a higher price point per month from AT&T. So essentially these plans are no different than an ARM loan in the mortgage industry. You lock in for the 1st year and then the rate raises. What's next for Apple? Give the phones away for free then charge us $300/month?

In the meantime, I feel like their music/movie and Mac divisions are suffering because of the iPhone R&D. Sad part is after one year the biggest development for the phone was due to AT&T, not Apple. No design change to make the copy cats look dated, no increased specs etc. Wait a minute, I guess they are going to set up a store to sell us video games that were cool in the 80's and also allow us to stalk our friends via GPS. Ok I'm done..damn I need to step away from the keyboard.....:mad:

2. lilj4425 macrumors 6502a

3. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

4. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

i could not agree anymore, kudos. im with you on this. i am pissed. sure some will love it. but you really are selling your soul..
    . we are doomed

5. alex2016g macrumors member

^^Agree its lame, specially the design change,
    I reckon they will release 32GB by Christmas, at least got GPS

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I was ready to buy it today until I found out that ATT was jacking the price of the plans!

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

what exactly are you complaining about? you dont like it dont buy it.

And ur crap about "allowing AT&T to price gouge" is rediculous. AT&T can charge what they want as their plans have absolutly nothing to do with APPLE. Also, u realize that AT&T is the reason the phone is 199 right? they are taking a HUGE hit by paying for most of the phone, and will not turn a profit from this for the next two years. Look at the facts before u whine.

8. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

^^^ Don't worry. I'm sure AT&T is making a profit on this hike in data plans and text messaging.

9. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

yeah nt would know this if he read other posts that have clearly depicted that. at&t is not loosing anything that is ridiculous , they are making lots and lots of money and we the consumer's are getting hammered in the A## for it. that is if you give in to there price hiding and such.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

3 reasons, huh? Let's see.

Yeah, just like how last year we heard all about the glass front attracting scratches. Oh, wait. That didn't happen. Well, I'm sure this wild guess will come true eventually. Maybe 2008 will be its year.

Hey! The jerks! Uhm, what? :confused:

Well, let's look at the second part of this statement...

Whew. Making money by selling software. How rotten!

This one seems more like an item for the thread "Does AT&T have a worm inside it now?"

I dunno...out of 3 items, I'm not finding any single one very convincing.

EDIT: I should clarify: #3 is very convincing, but it doesn't match your thread title!

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

hmm so the 200+ they are paying through subsidies is absolutly nothing.....

dont get me wrong, the service and company is appalling, but alot of people here are making this out to seem like the scandal of the century, its not, its business.

12. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

While I agree mostly with the business model you presented. I'm not sure this is any different than other phone manufacturers. They are in that game now man--gotta play by some of the rules. I think they took a stab at being revolutionary by getting revenue sharing-- but then they figured out they were better off being revolutionary in software.

They spent so much time on the software ends of things (SDK) which so many people complained about, that they could not revolutionize the design much this time around. I think they have adjusted most of the major flaws (no product can be flawless--not even an Apple one) and will continue to work on it. Oh, and they spent a lot of time getting this into the hands of enterprisers.

They sell hardware with software folks. Remember that. They make the hardware pretty and the software prettier.

13. gullaa macrumors member

gullaa

i'm pissed at the fact i sold my 1g iphone just to be faced with this s**t

14. sjw macrumors regular

You know, I suppose this is the thing about rumors and speculation - without having any idea which are credible you can just focus on the ones that take your fancy (if not all of them) and get caught up in false hopes, which I suspect is what happened to a lot of people, including myself.

At the end of the day they are a company that exists to make profit and I am sure the 3G iPhone, with it's reduced price and 3G and GPS, is going to be wildly successful with the average Joe and achieve what Apple wants it to achieve.

Though personally, the next time the iPhone is due to be refreshed I am going to do my best to avoid all the rumors!

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

At least there won't be a price drop soon after I buy on July 11.

16. mtfield macrumors 6502

For anyone who is complaining about a price increase for data.. you are getting an increase of speed so you pay more.. you are using it more so you pay more... it can do more things so you pay more... that's just the fact of the matter. If you don't like the speed increase and dont think the specs are good enough then go and buy the 1st gen. it's a great phone that does all you want for the price you apparently are only wiling to pay. So make your choice and live with it, and just enjoy the hell out of whichever one you get because the bottom line is the iphone is an amazing device that we all love

17. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

What/how/why are you doing to your phone?

They didn't lower the price. Apple still likely makes the same money per unit sold. Instead AT&T is subsidizing the price in order to get more customers.

WAT?

18. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

I despair - I really do.

It's like no-one can ever be happy with anything they release. Personally I think they've done a fantastic job with the new iPhone and software, and can't wait to get it on July 11th.

Especially with the mobileMe stuff... I mean, wow.

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I don't understand why people get so upset. It is only a phone and if you feel so strongly about it, get a better phone. There are better ones out there with all the features you want.

Some of us are happy with what we are getting. I can't wait to but my white 3G iPhone! :) I was going to get dot Mac but after hearing about Mobile Me, I'm waiting till it is active before I sub. It sounds great!

20. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

1) Well, since they are expanding, maybe there aren't enough chinese workers to sculpt these round metal shinny cases to every new iphone user.

2) with 30% share per app sold, they will grow. Let's hope that they won't only grow in money, but too in serious engenniers resources, cause i'm expecting an iphone with a frontface vga, videocalls and a back cam with >2 mpx to beat my sony ericsson ehe.

well that's apple. a company. it wont change.

21. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

There is nothing I liked about the new iphone...outside of 3G.

Cheap plastic casing.

Raised rates by a minimum of $15.

Is is really more affordable? Sure the phone is, than ATT socks it to you with a minimum of $75+tax for monthly service. What a fraud!

This was a giant leap backwards for Apple. I also did not enjoy how they claimed how much faster the 3G phone was versus Edge....basically telling those of us who have Edge that it really sucks.

I am not buying one, and have decided to give my Edge Iphone to my nephew and get a BB from VZW so that I get better coverage and fewer dropped calls.

I love the looks of the original Iphone, hate the lack of simple things like a to do list, a designated contacts button/icon. It has been a year and still no copy/paste...come on!

I like Apple products, however I am not a fan boy and agree with every product Jobs puts out there. I call it as I see it. :D

22. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

*rolling eyes* my guess is you will have no problem buying back a used 1G, for less. A lot of people will upgrade.

23. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Seriously? Cheap plastic casing? I'm guessing your argument is that anything plastic is automatically "cheap."

Is the Macbook cheap because it's made out of plastic? It's probably a similar type of plastic...and I know that stands up to a lot of abuse from first hand experience. Just a thought...

24. chrisparr macrumors regular

The whole presentation was pretty much a non-event.

Did they really spend all that time showing that 3G was faster than 2G (whoop-de-do! Was that breaking news to anyone?), and showing 3rd party applications?

Based on this presentation alone, it looks like they have lost their way slightly.

25. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Everyone is crying about cheap plastic casing, yet no one has even held it. I think the new shape will fit the hand better. And to the people I have let use my first gen iPhone, they are afraid it will slip out of their hand because of the smooth metal.