Does apple leave a reserve stock of 6+ for walk-ins?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dmaynard83, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Just curious because I notice the 6+ online stock goes out so fast on can't even order it for pick up

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

They may, they may not. But they still handout reservation pass at the apple store.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

That reservation pass system works phenomenally.

4. brokenarrow184 macrumors member

brokenarrow184

What is this reservation pass system u speak of sir?!

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

What the reservation pass does is it reserves your phone at the apple store so Apple cannot sell that phone that was on reserve to someone else. You get till 9 pm to pick it up. After 9 pm, it resets and you lose that reservation and someone else can buy that phone.

6. Bgriz macrumors newbie

Well the apple reserve system didn't work so well for me. Found one, reserved it, got confirmation it was ready for pick up.
    Then a call from the store saying nope it's not physically here and I would have to call apple and cancel. I did call apple , they said that was odd and called the store. Bottom line no stock and it was a glitch in the system. Order cancelled and now waiting for my upgrade to be restored which will be after the refund is processed 24-48 hrs. Very frustrating!! Hopefully this was a rare event.

7. mlsusa macrumors regular

Is reserving different from buying it online for personal pickup? I'm going the personal pickup option because I'd rather not lock myself to the 3-4 week shipping period since it looks like the stores in NYC get their inventory refreshed semi-regularly. Don't want to be under the impression I actually bought one only to be told i didn't and need to cancel. I've already had issues with AT&T over eligibility resets and I don't want to go through that horror show again.

8. Bgriz macrumors newbie

It's one in the same. I reserved (bought online) for pickup in a certain store that showed stock availability. It let me buy the phone, pay for it, then informed me it was ready for pickup at the store. We were just about ready to leave home and drive 1 hr to the store when a call came from the store saying it was a glitch and they had no stock. Had to cancel and get upgrade restored. After that, decided we didn't want to play the chase the iPhone game.....so we placed an order online for delivery and will just wait the 3-4 weeks.

9. toxicity033 macrumors member

they do.. there's a set amount they put up for store pickup and the rest is for walk ins.

10. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Well assuming there isn't anyone waiting in line for the shipment to come in

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This doesn't seem to be the case in the stores near me, unless they are deciding simply to set everything for store pickup.

12. bayou.boy macrumors newbie

I thought they were different but now I don't think so, I was told when a shipment is received everything is scanned in and can be purchased and picked up, nothing is set aside from a shipment, so if all the phones are purchased online for pickup before the store opens they won't have any for people showing up to wait in line.

To test this out I went to the Apple store in one of our local malls two hours early this Saturday and was the first in line. While in line I kept refreshing istocknow to see if anything would pop up for an ATT 6Plus and the only thing showing available was a 16GB SG ATT, when the store opened the guy asked me what I wanted, after I said I prefer a 64 6Plus SG ATT, he said all they had was 16 GB SG ATT, after they sold out all 4 of those that they received to the next 3 people behind me, istocknow cleared and they said they had no more 6Pluses.