Does Apple need an iPhone with a bigger screen to stay competitive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dolorian, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

There are definitely a lot of cases of people who have left iPhone for an Android be it a Galaxy SIII or an HTC mainly due to the bigger screen in these phones. A friend of mine, for instance, had an iPhone 4S and an iPad, he used to take the iPad with him just in case he wanted to read something of significant length as it was just not comfortable in the iPhone. He recently switched to a Galaxy SIII, leaving the iPhone and now he tells me that the size of the Galaxy is ideal and negates the need of bringing his iPad for whenever he wants to read something, he now does it comfortably in his Galaxy.

Many in this forum say that if the iPhone 5 doesn't comes with a bigger screen, or if it comes with just a taller (and not wider) screen they would switch to one of the two Android phones mentioned or some other alternative with a bigger screen.

As it is now possible to do so much with a smartphone, it is easy to see why many feel the need for a larger screen than the one the iPhone currently provides and they are finding the ideal solution in these Android phones.

Apple is definitely losing these users and as far as pure perception goes, in the eyes of a lot of people the size of the Galaxy SIII, to take a popular example, makes the iPhone 4S look tiny and even outdated.

So, do you think that Apple needs to make an iPhone with a bigger screen to stay competitive and change the perception mentioned above? Would it perhaps need to expand things up a bit with, say, two different iPhone models? One with the current size and another with a bigger screen?

2. julietcc macrumors member

3. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Simple answer is probably no given historical sales - that being said more folks are wanting a change (not sure how much is the screen vs. the iOS) at my corporation for a larger screen.

4. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

Imo Yes because the masses don't really know better and assume bigger is better
    But the apple brand halo counteracts this to some extent

So really a coin flip!

5. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I think there is a customer base which demands the larger screen just as there is a customer base that prefers a smaller screen for better portability.

I think Apple would make more users happier to increase the screen size than it would to make users upset that they did.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The iPhone 4S was Apple's best selling model, and it came after the big screen onslaught from the Evo, the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Nexus.

It actually outsold them all by a goodmargin.

So the market might want a larger screen, but they want a larger screen iPhone, not a larger screen brandX.

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

it can grow as long it still fit into a regular shirt pocket where it's most of the day.
    more screen, less bezel would be ok for me.

8. depths macrumors regular

depths

What are the current total international sales of the 4s and s2?

I don't doubt you, just curious. I thought Samsung was pretty cagey with sales figures.

9. Dolorian thread starter macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I think so too. I mean, what percentage of iPhone users would refuse to upgrade to the iPhone 5 because it has a larger screen? I doubt it would be a significant number and I think that there would be more users who decide to stick with the iPhone because of the larger screen, instead of opting for an Android alternative.

10. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I would think, that if the new iPhone is released with a larger screen, there will be folks (like me) who will upgrade to the new phone, in part, because of the screen and then there are those that will continue to buy the 4S and be happy with their smaller (less superior of course, lol) screen.

The 4s isn't going to go away anytime soon, so there ya go, 2 models. :D

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Many on these forums have always voiced their desire for a smaller manageable phones as well. Apple would risk losing these customers by making a ridiculously large phone as they would staying at 3.5 inches.

12. Dolorian thread starter macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Hmm not really, in some cases and with some people a bigger screen may actually be more practical. I am sure that a lot of people who, for example, read and even edit a lot of documents be them word, spreadsheets and even presentations on the go would welcome the benefits of a bigger screen on their iPhones.

13. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I think the short answer is no. I think the long answer over the next two years (if Apple maintains an "S" version for the next-next iPhone) is yes.

Honestly, it makes me nervous what the redesign will be only because we can safely guess that it'll be the design for the next two years. It's a big commitment.

14. thecurryman macrumors 6502

I think Apple needs to release a larger screent to be competitive, the phone doesn't have to necessarily be larger, but the screen does... especially when the iphone literally has the smalled screen i can find on an all touch smart phone...plus its been 2 1/2 years since we have had a redesign...people want change for the sake of change and a redesigned iphone fits the bill...if apple doesn't do that and releases an iphone that isn't very different than the current one (ie longer iphone4/4s) the sales might not be as much as before (might even see a decline).

15. intervenient macrumors 6502a

I'd say no, but I won't buy one if it's not at least 4 inches (and not this taller crap). Android is just as good, if not better than iOS, and my giant hands have a home there.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apples masterful smoke & mirrors marketing, combined with it's "Magical Implications" of the products capabilities, it doesn't matter what they put out. Just slap on the Apple logo & people will buy it.

You've got to give them credit for influencing so many people.

17. depths macrumors regular

depths

I agree, Apple markets their products incredibly well.

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

"not this taller crap"

physics state larger iPhone would have a taller display.

19. maestrocasa macrumors regular

I hope so. I've been spoiled by the screen on my iPad and am finding it harder to read the little screen on my wife's 4S. Maybe my eyes are getting older too. I'm hoping for a bit larger screen to make on screen text and images a bit larger.

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Marketing only goes so far. Consistent sales = execution

21. Dolorian thread starter macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Me too.

As an aside, the site Phonedog has a running Smartphone ranking that they update weekly. It reflects both the readers' and the critic's choices and in both counts the Galaxy SIII is at the top, above the iPhone 4S and as far as the readers goes, the HTC is also ahead of the iPhone 4S:

http://www.phonedog.com/rankings/smartphones/

22. depths macrumors regular

depths

For an item to be larger it must increase its size in each dimension.
    signed physics/nuckinfutz

23. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Wirelessly posted

Lets face it

Apple did not work hard to bring iPhone 4s. Their best feature was beta Siri. I rest my case on that subject. Like I mentioned in other post, iPhone used to be awesome but now they are selling them on reputation. Those of you who are defending iPhone needs to wake up.

These people are making same mistake as Microsoft. To try to keep backward compatibility , meaning not to try to alienate lot of existing customer, they stop think outside of the box.
    I will not buy another iPhone till they come up with perfect solution to being out multiple phones in different size. iPhone is best seller? Those of you who think that way is obviously not looking at millions of other lost opportunity iPhone is losing by not offering different size

24. depths, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

depths macrumors regular

depths

25. Twixt macrumors 6502

Can't agree more!
    4 and 4s were of little interest now it is high time to bring something outstanding or it will be samsung best end of year ever...