Does Apple often change product photos to match racial makeups?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by foidulus, Mar 13, 2010.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

So this morning I was trying to find more info on what the plans for Apple's Japan website and one thing I noticed is that they changed the picture in the features page from a blonde woman to a pair of (I'm assuming) Japanese women. I went to Apple's china page and there was a different picture of what I am assuming is of a Chinese couple. However interestingly enough the Korean site still features the blonde woman.....

However I couldn't find any other country that has that page that doesn't have the blonde woman.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed Apple changing their pictures to match the racial makeup of the country they are trying to sell their products in? Do a lot of other multinationals do this as well?

Fortunately Apple uses the exact same URL scheme worldwide and for the most part all you have to do is change the first two letters after the first slash to the TLD code of the country you are interested in.

ie for the ipad features:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

India would be:
    http://www.apple.com/in/ipad/features/
    Korea:
    http://www.apple.com/kr/ipad/features/

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Post a link to the Japan site. If they did change the demographics of the ad copy to better represent the target audience it's called marketing 101.

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Japan

I wonder if it's changed in Japan and not Korea because of the greater potential market in one or the other. It does cost money to change things. If it's done out of house by an ad firm, it might even count as a full second billing.

China is ethnically updated too. The site just crawls...

Dale

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Johnny Ive still looks American. I'd complain if I was Japanese.

Why is it America goes so far out of their way to please everyone else? We put our signs in English and Spanish to basically say "yes, please cross our borders, we'll all learn spanish for you while you rape our healthcare and educational system."

Not only that, but how many words do we use that are unchanged from their origin? Jalepeños, sushi, sombrero, katana, nunchucku...yet in asia Apple is "Appleru?!" Where the hell does that come from? "Yes, the company is Apple." "Oh, yesh, Appleru." "What? That's not what I said. Ah-pull." "Ah pull ruuuuu!" "Is that how you say apple in Japanese?" "NO!" "Then...where did that last bit come in? The ru...did I say that? Is there a reason for that?" "NORUUUU!" "What?!"

I'm angry.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

^^^easily the most ignorant post of the day.

God forbid we accept another language besides English.

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Considering we do not have an official language in the US...

And considering France does, yet I see English there...

Or English in Japan...

I'd say you might be reading a bit too far into things. Go for a walk.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In Japanese, it's Appuru (アップル) because there's no way to represent the word "apple" using Katakana. While you can get Appu (アップ), there's no "L" character, and the closest sound is ru (ル); most consonants must be paired with a vowel.

Using the Japanese word for "apple" (ringo, りんご) is possible but you don't see that happening, just like how companies like Sony, Toyota etc don't use English names in English-speaking countries.

NB: I don't know much Japanese and I apologise if any of this is incorrect.

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

This thread totally reminds me of this awesome 'regionalisation' that MS did not that long ago. It's such a professional photoshop job, a bit of fail when it comes to attention to detail though.

[​IMG]

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

I'd say the rest of the world goes out of their way to accommodate English speaking people (I'm American).

I bet you are the kind of person who expects everyone to speak English everywhere.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Are we really going to go down that "It's America!! Everyone should speak English"" rabbit-hole again? English is an imported language to the USA just as much as Spanish is. The only original languages are Amerind tongues.

I absolutely love that even now. Not only does the white guy's laptop have a halogen bulb as a screen backlight, but he's left his hands under the sunbed for far too long by the looks of things :D

Sadly not the worst example of a Photoshop Disaster...

11. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

You HAVE TO be kidding...

12. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

No, but if you call an ambulance in America I sure hope you know enough to tell them where you are XD

I had to learn Spanish to go to Mexico, they don't lift a finger to try and understand you otherwise. And unlike them, I was able to read and understand the signs, they didn't have to cater to me. Although I should write El Presidente just for the hell of it, because like my illegal uncles would say "I don't give a damn, it's about ME!".

Is it so hard for them to read and understand OUR road signs? I guess they just really don't try. And why should they? When you don't have to pay taxes and believe the law applies to everybody BUT yourself, why, oh lawd, should you ever have to do anything at all?

Sorry, I'm in Texas and I grew up around these people. Most of my family are illegal foreigners. If you saw the way they blatantly STEEL from America and use OUR tax dollars to wipe with, and THEN see that everybody here just bends over and takes it, you'd want to leave too. At least I'd hope you would.

To Canada!!

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

When you've achieved a command of English, then you can complain about others (not that you will seem less ignorant).

14. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

...yet no matter the number of ****** that cry about my grammar, not one is capable of presenting an example of such errors.

Then again, I'm just too damned good to care. Being better than these expletives makes life swell.

Unsubbed and unmoved, enjoy talking to a wall. :D

15. Queso macrumors G4

M'agrado la llengua castella, pero prefero el catala :)

16. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Señor Cheeto, eres un p....

People who hate their own race... That's crazy. OMG! I cannot say anything more or I'd get banned....

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You seem to be forgetting that Puerto Rico is a Spanish speaking, US territory. Puerto Ricans are US citizens, they are allowed to freely travel, work, and live in the US, with no passports, no Visas, nothing. Puerto Rico is basically another state without actually being a state. And since the US does not have an official language, English is no more our "official" language than Spanish or Klingon. So by having signs in Spanish, companies are catering to US citizens who are under no obligation to speak or learn English.

And yes, I have heard right wing racists complain about all the illegal immigrants coming from Puerto Rico. :rolleyes:

18. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

BTW, I'm not racist. If you're American from Puerto Rico I believe you don't HAVE certain taxes.

My problem is when illegals from ANY country, England, Spain, México or Canada, come to this country and STEEL from our government. As long as you people do nothing about it, I say you rightfully deserve to be robbed, you're only doing it to yourselves.

I, on the other hand, am seriously considering another country to LEGALLY immigrate to and become a citizen. At least in Australia they do something about the illegals, making it my primary choice thus far.

My only problem now is denouncing U.S. citizenship is made near-impossible. If I have to break a whole book of laws to break free of any American ties, so be it. I'll not be a slave to a nation like the North Koreans.

Ciao ;)

19. remmy macrumors 6502a

He was born in Chingford, England.

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Debatable.
    You just said that having signs in any language other than English encourages illegal immigration, and yet you don't see a dramatic flaw in this argument? Tisk tisk.

Best get in shape then. Australia will make it very hard for you to gain citizenship if you're a fatty.

What does any of this have to do with the topic at hand or defending your racist comments?

au revoir

21. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

He was pointing out your spelling, not your grammar.
    This is pointing out your grammar. :p

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite right too. Having all the models used in products as whites is really quite odd in a country where the vast majority of the population isn't white.

Or English in pretty much every country on earth. Its the world's language these days. When the Chinese set up oil wells in Iraq they said they weren't employing local Iraqis as they didn't speak English.

If any given citizen of the world speaks anything other than their native language, the chances are pretty good that they speak English.

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Personally, I think making anything the national language is silly, but I also think everyone should learn English. Not for the people around them, but because the rest of the world is learning it.

Check out the Shift Happens slideshows that are on youtube and elsewhere. 100% of the college graduates in India speak english. It won't be long before China and India have more enlish speaking college educated people than the US and UK have total people combined. It may have already happened.

24. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Helps that India was an British possession until last century.