Does Apple Pay work with EBT?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nouveau-apple, Oct 24, 2014.

1. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

Don't forget the people on SNAP (food stamps), does anyone know the answer for this?

2. iWozinator macrumors member

I should think not. I would imagine if you could afford an iPhone 6/6+ you shouldn't need food stamps for Christ's sake.
    Or come to think of it maybe that's how they afford it, by living off someone's else's hard work.

3. YouGoGlenCocoa macrumors member

Not trying to bash you OP i know this is a legit question. I do believe in food stanps and assistance for people who truly need it.

But would you not be pissed off if you saw someone using An iPhone 6 plus to pay for food that they "can't afford".

Im curious to know as welll though..

4. HenryDJP macrumors 603

At the risk of sounding ignorant (because I'm not trying to be, I'm just a tax payer concerned about where my tax dollars end up) I can't see anyone on Food Stamps buying these expensive Apple phones. If a person can afford these new iPhones I don't see EBT being something they would be concerned about. Just sayin'.

5. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Let's face it, everyone has iPhones. Even people on Snap. People look down upon people who use Snap, and it's not right.

Are people jealous because it's food?

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

7. HenryDJP macrumors 603

You asked a question and people responded. You insulting people makes no sense.

8. noobinator macrumors 601

lol
    thread of the year

next up: can I get WIC and Welfare on Apple Pay

9. bayou.boy macrumors newbie

Considering SNAP is not a credit or debit card the obvious answer is no.

Your question may be genuine, but these type of threads turn ugly really fast and should be closed once you receive your answer, which you just did.

10. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Some people I know get an iPhone (or Android) in lieu of a computer and cable/DSL. Internet connectivity and telephony are pretty much required in modern society, especially when actively searching for jobs and such. Having a device that combines it all is cheaper for people who can't afford to have multiple individual services and devices

I admit it doesn't make sense for them to buy an iPhone 6/6+ over a 5c or whatever.

12. Chatter macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping that the question was asked out of genuine curiosity but this might go downhill real quick. The answer is no. Maybe this thread should be closed?

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just because you have an iPhone it does not automatically follow that you should not be on food stamps.

There are many reasons why people on food stamps would have an iPhone. We (my wife and two kids) were on food stamps when I got my iPhone 5. How is it I could afford an iPhone 5?

I used my tax refund. We use our tax refunds every two years to upgrade. It's the only way we can afford the phones we want. In general we could not afford to get an iPhone on what I make a month.

Generally, if you qualify for food stamps, you are getting a tax refund. Other reasons may be that an iPhone was given as a gift from someone else. Things are not necessarily what they may appear to be.

14. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's crazy how people would think that just because someone has access to Ebt, they wouldn't or couldn't get access to an iPhone. That's discrimination.

It could be compatible with Apple Pay because you get a card that can be swiped and can be used at the ATM.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No. WIC uses coupons. They are strictly controlled and they have certain date windows that they can only be used in. When used, you have to physically sign for them and the cashier has to check your signature. WIC is totally different. I know, we used WIC at one point.

Welfare is Food Stamps (EBT), unless you are meaning Cash Assistance?

16. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

There are legit people on these programs, but people are jealous because it's food. It becomes and issue because there are plenty of people who struggle, like my wife and I who didn't qualify for any programs, but we could barely afford our own bills at one point. This meme that's going around is true in many cases.

[​IMG]

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's possible, but I very much doubt it. That's coordination between the state and the bank that actually handles the EBT card.

18. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

The difference being that the funds to pay for purchases with MC, Visa etc are processed through the underwriting bank and cleared for fraud by MC, Visa, etc.

For government assistance plans to work on that, the government would need to setup a back end in the same fashion as the underwriting banks mentioned above. I just don't see that happening.

19. HenryDJP macrumors 603

What you're saying has validity but libraries have free computer access for people as well. I'd be pretty upset knowing my tax dollars are being used frivolously so people using EBT certainly shouldn't buying $ $800-1000 phones.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

How were your tax dollars used frivolously when I used my tax refund in 2012 to buy my iPhone 5? I qualified for that tax refund and it was money owed to me.

21. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Exactly, people are going to say they are using their own money for the phone....To counter those now, they are able to use their own money for the phone because tax payers picked up their grocery bill. They didn't have to deal with the opportunity cost of one or the other.

22. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think you should have a right to be upset because a person who is using EBT has an iPhone 6, a car and probably an iPad.

Food is not easy to get these days especially young adults without rich parents who are trying to be debt free and independent and who don't qualify for anything but jobs that pay close to minimum wage.

EBT is basically just saving money on food.

23. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

This thread should be closed. OP asked, received answer. Nothing good will come from this conversation in the iPhone section.

24. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Look up the definition of DISCRIMINATION before you try and accuse people of it. You have no idea what you're talking about. Based on your post you should change that to Stereotype.....but in the case of this thread people (taxpayers) are in the right to say where their money should go to because we have to pay it. Once again, a person on Foodstamps shouldn't be buying an iPhone 6/6Plus. They certainly DON'T need the government assistance if they can afford those phones. Heck, I run a business and make very good money and my 6 Plus was still a stretch on my budget.

It's amazing how you're so defensive when you started this thread asking for people's reactions. :p

25. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shaking my head. What else can Ebt users not have?

I bet you don't even know how that governmental assistance program works.

Because it's not based on what you have and don't have. It's based on the money you make. And if a person can afford nice clothes, and the latest technology, they should still be able to use Ebt if they qualified for it