Does Apple restock used Macbooks and re-sell them as if they were new?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KyleAChat, Jan 5, 2010.

1. KyleAChat macrumors newbie

Hello there.

I was wondering if Apple restocks its products and re-sells them as if they were new because I got a new Macbook pro yesterday at the Apple Store. I opened up iTunes to find random tracks of some kid talking, typing, and one of him coughing and maybe even vomiting. :confused:
    just wondering how on earth they got there.
    I DID sync my iPhone with the computer but my iPhone did not have anything like this.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. KyleAChat thread starter macrumors newbie

Then how would the random tracks get there :( im really confused!

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I think I'd call the store manager and let them know. It could've been opened and played with then reboxed without leaving the store, I suppose. I don't know what could or should be done, but new does mean new, after all.

5. Blazer24K macrumors member

Blazer24K

I would take it back in to the apple store and point out the files. They can easily see when they were created versus when you bought the machine.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

No question that that's the point of refurbs, and shouldn't be the case with anything sold as new.

If memory serves, there's always a software license seal on the bag the computer's in. Was that broken already when you opened it?

(Not that you couldn't re-seal it without damage in most cases, and of course if the reshelving was done by Apple they may have those stickers on hand, though I'd kind of think that would be a factory thing rather than something laying around the physical store.)

Given the content, and depending on what he's saying, it almost sounds like a lame prank...