Does AppleCare wipe Mac’s with locked OSes?

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Our actions define our legacy
Packed up my MacBook Pro to send back but the rep told me just to back up all my data. Nothing about leaving my Mac unlocked(just the EFI). The repairs are mainly cosmetic but I figure they’ll run diagnostics. Anyone send their Mac’s in with a password?

I don’t mind if it’s wiped(got backups everywhere :p) just curious if it’s an issue.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
They usually recommend backing it up as a "just in case" measure so they aren't liable for data loss (if the SSD happens to fail and need replacement, for example), but the diagnostics are run using an external drive and OS, so it doesn't require erasing the internal drive.

Reactions: iModFrenzy

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Our actions define our legacy
They usually recommend backing it up as a "just in case" measure so they aren't liable for data loss (if the SSD happens to fail and need replacement, for example), but the diagnostics are run using an external drive and OS, so it doesn't require erasing the internal drive.
Yeah I figured that and that the diagnostics software might be on an external drive as I’ve ran their diagnostic software before. However, in their FAQ, they say to have storage available for their diagnostics software which I found odd.

PROFESS0R

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2017
I may be misunderstanding, but there is no way I would send apple a computer with a single file on it. I would back up the drive and erase it prior to sending it to Apple.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
Yeah I figured that and that the diagnostics software might be on an external drive as I’ve ran their diagnostic software before. However, in their FAQ, they say to have storage available for their diagnostics software which I found odd.
If the diagnostics perform a read/write test on the SSD, some free space would be needed for that.
I may be misunderstanding, but there is no way I would send apple a computer with a single file on it. I would back up the drive and erase it prior to sending it to Apple.
Enabling FileVault with a strong password would suffice. That way you can avoid the hassle of having to secure erase the drive, and the technician won't be able to see the files.