Does AT&T charge extra for LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guspasho, Sep 13, 2012.

1. guspasho macrumors regular

I'm unclear on AT&T's pricing. I am grandfathered in with the $30/mo "unlimited" plan with a 4S that I got at launch (upgraded from 3GS). If I upgrade to the 5, will I have LTE access with my existing plan, or will AT&T attempt to charge me more or kill my unlimited plan to get LTE? Thanks!

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, nothing is different except that they also bump the throttle up to 5GB from 3GB for users with unlimited data.

3. thevmax macrumors newbie

Pricing for AT&T Iphone 5 carrier usage

Yes, you are grandfathered in, with the bump up to 5GB unlimited. BUT, this brings up the original point: What does "unlimited" mean ?!
    Synonyms
    unconstrained, unrestrained, unfettered.

World English Dictionaryunlimited (ʌnˈlɪmɪtɪd)

— adj
    1. without limits or bounds: unlimited knowledge
    2. not restricted, limited, or qualified: unlimited power
    3. ( Brit ) finance
    a. (of liability) not restricted to any unpaid portion of nominal capital invested in a business
    b. (of a business enterprise) having owners with such unlimited liability

CLEARLY, the AT&T 4G LTE is NOT UNLIMITED! :mad:

4. formerpc macrumors 6502

You can still use data. They never STOP you from using data they just slow down your connection. Unlimited refers to amount, not speed, IMO.

5. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Go cry about it. Or find new hobbies.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

7. PN4 macrumors member

I have the exact same question about Verizon. Not knowing how 3G 4G and LTE work, can Verizon "hold back" LTE service since its an "unlimited 3G plan"?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

8. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

First off, unlimited does not exist. There are limits to what you can do with any data transmission.

So with that out of the way, AT&T's unlimited (and the same for most of the rest of the world, for a change) is unlimited if used reasonably. I don't know what you americans do with your phones but no one else in the world is hitting 5GB or even 3GB limits with as much regularity as you are.

Lastly: AT&T wants you on LTE. It's a higher-capacity network to start with, and it's there alongside their 3G and 2G networks. So if you're using data on LTE, there's still room for someone else's connection on 3G or 2G. And using data on LTE isn't as taxing for the LTE network as using data on 3G is for that network. This is why they upped the limit from 3GB on 3G to 5GB on LTE.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

No extra charge for LTE. Data is data.

And, some would disagree that unlimited does not exist. It does.

On ATT there are some "yea, buts". You can get UNLIMITED data, but at a certain point it does slow down. Nobody what you say, the amount of data is UNLIMITED.

10. Dieu macrumors newbie

When I attempted to upgrade my 4S to the 5 on ATT's website, it showed a static $25 LTE line item. I believe this is either a one-time bull-*hit fee or some other attempt to bilk the customer like the nonsence $36 upgrade fee. Regardless, it was not listed as an option nor was I able to unselect it. For Christ sake we dont even have LTE service in Michigan (Ann Arbor). All these wireless carriers are thieves.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

i think that was just an error on their website. I have upgraded to an LTE device and there is no additional fee....just the upgrade fee if you are upgrading.

12. guspasho thread starter macrumors regular

This is exactly wrong. Unlimited always meant no caps. It was always advertised in contrast to capped plans. Until AT&T started putting a cap on it. A cap is a limit, and exactly the kind of limit that "unlimited" was intended not to be.

PS, thanks all for the clarification. I'm glad I'll still be able to keep my "unlimited" plan, for now.

13. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I am an grandfathered unlimited data user, and I think people need to stop bitching. I think carrier need to bring back unlimited and price it at about $150 a month. If you really want unlimited, you pay the price.

14. spicoli macrumors member

Rumor has it that LTE will be turned on for Michigan before the end of the year. So three months or a little bit longer. I'm good with that. :D (Grand Rapids here)

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Semantics.

In the past unlimited meant all you want, at the normal speed. No throttle.

You still get unlimited, all you want, but with the throttle thrown in.

Yes, it has changed. But better than saying no more unlimited and just plain doing a cap at xx gb, then charging you more if you want more.

The old unlimited is better than the new unlimited. But, they are both unlimited.

16. Link00seven macrumors regular