Does AT&T charge minutes to check voicemail via iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slate1, Jul 3, 2008.

1. slate1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Alltel HTC Touch)

Alltel charges me minutes every time I check my voicemail, how does it work with visual voicemail on the iPhone?

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

AT&T has visual voicemail which means that the messages are downloaded on to your iPhone hence the ability to listen to any messages at selection.

So if you dont have a data plan, no way to utilize visual voicemail.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

That's because you have to "call" the voicemail system and takes up airtime.

I guess visualvoicemail is different as it downloads the voicemail to the phone instead.

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

you know i never thought of it that way, but visual voicemail save minutes off of your monthly usage.

5. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I don't believe so as the iPhone downloads the voicemail to the phone. My guess is it uses data somehow.

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Pretty much every single carrier and phone charges you minutes cause you call the voicemail.

The iPhone has Visual Voicemail where it downloads the voicemail to your iPhone. This doesn't use minutes at all cause it downloads, so it's using data.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

IIRC, even before visual voicemail AT&T didnt charge you minutes for voicemail messages.

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Really? Well then that makes the Visual Voicemail seem less exciting.

9. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Alltel HTC Touch)

This is a huge advantage for me. I use a lot of my monthly minutes checking voicemail.

10. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

why not just answer the phone :p

11. slate1 thread starter macrumors regular

hah! if it were only that easy !

12. elbirth macrumors 65816

this question has already been answered, but fwiw, AT&T's plan page points out that Visual Voicemail is included in the unlimited data plan, meaning it's part of the data service on the phone.

13. tritonj macrumors 6502a

you are charged airtime for voicemail, the way around that is, if you have mobile to mobile free, all you have to do is call yourself and then hit either * and that brings you to your voicemail prompt, that is also how you check voicemail when you don't have your phone.

14. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

From what I recall (and I didn't go over my bills with a fine-tooth comb so give this a small grain of salt) AT&T does not charge at all for calling into vm. I recall seeing VM....$0.00 all over my bills.

15. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That uses even more minutes!

16. tritonj macrumors 6502a

maybe the case now, i know in the past that wasn't so i have always reprogrammed my voicemail button to dial my own number and then i just wait and push * to get the prompt

17. scottbushey macrumors member

Does Visual Voicemail count against text message count?

18. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

19. southyde4eva macrumors newbie

Same here. Before I got my iPhone, checking my voicemails always counted against my minutes allowance. I know because for a couple of months, adding up those minutes plus my regular "talking" minutes would send me over my allowance---leading to a large bill. I started calling myself for voicemail too, once someone hipped me to the workaround. (I'm still hitting myself for not thinking of it sooner)

And no, checking visual voicemail doesn't count against any total (text or voice).

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

AT&T is going to start charging you for thinking about listening to your voicemail with the introduction of the 3G.

Thank god they haven't figured out a way to charge us 5 cents for every time we think about sex. A nickel, and a nickel, and a nickel...it can really add up fast.

21. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i would be broke if they started charging for that, lol