Does AT&T owe us some compensation due to the lack of MMS support?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Jun 18, 2009.

?

Does AT&T owe use some compensation due to the lack of MMS support?

1. Yes.

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. No.

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Let's see if I can put this all together to make sense.

When I bought my iPhone 3G I knew that I would not be able to send MMS, even-though I was paying for MMS in my unlimited text/data plan it would be ridiculous for me to be mad because I purchased the iPhone 3G knowing that it would not support it.

Fast forward to June 8th, 2009. Apple officially announces a June 17th release date for iPhone OS 3.0 which will include MMS, but in a very snarky way advise that AT&T will not be offering this service until "Late Summer".

June 17th, 2009 11:15am PDT I download iPhone OS 3.0. Now my iPhone is capable of sending and receiving MMS. Now I own a device that supports a feature that I have been paying for all along but have not been able to use. Up until today it has been my fault that I couldn't use this feature I pay for, but now it is AT&Ts fault that I can't use this feature.

So now I am paying for a feature that I have the ability to use, but I am being prevented by my provider from using this service that I am paying them for.

Am I the only one that believes that us AT&T customers deserve some sort of compensation here?

I guess i'll do ahead and make a poll out of this.

2. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

yes simply beacuse for years we have been paying the same amount for a text only plan that everyone else is paying for a text and MMS plan

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

No because you downloaded 3.0 knowing you won't have MMS until late summer. :rolleyes:

4. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Even though the device supports it and you're paying for it...

I vote yes just for that reason. AT&T has had plenty of time to get MMS ready in time for 3.0 launch.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

So, would you have been happier if Apple had delayed the launch of 3.0 until AT&T were ready with MMS?

You're not paying for MMS - you are paying for SMS. The fact it costs the same is irrelevant: When you bought the phone you agreed to pay a certain amount for SMS only. You still have that same facility

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Coming from a person who can fully use MMS...

Anyways, I don't think they owe us any compensation. We have been fully aware that we have been paying for both services (SMS+MMS), but only actually receiving one (SMS). Nevertheless, we continue to make the choice to pay for it.

On that note, people should be cancelling their SMS plans. This is the only language they will likely understand - the loss of pure revenue. If thousands of people began to cancel their SMS plans due to the lack of MMS, chances are that they would have MMS available much faster.

Are you saying that the only function of firmware 3.0 is to send MMS? If so, then they should have delayed its introduction.