Does AT&T recognize Verizon LTE iPhone? $10 family unlimited data plan?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Since AT&T usually recognizes all iPhones regardless if it's international or from ATT locked.

Wondering if anyone's put a nano sim from ATT to use with Verizon's iPhone 5 with has unlocked GSM slot for fake 4G/3G.

I have both ATT and Verizon service. Would be cool if I could use the Verizon iPhone 5 on ATT's $10 family unlimited data plan if ATT's system do not recognize the phone.

We all know people use Galaxy Nexus (GSM), T-Mobile's S2 and S3 (which both support Tmobile and ATT 3G bands). We all know most people who use those phones use the $10 family unlimited data plan cause ATT does not recognize those phones.

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
What is this AT&T $10 family unlimited data plan of which you speak? Never heard of it.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
What is this AT&T $10 family unlimited data plan of which you speak? Never heard of it.
It's a plan for dumbphones.

OP: They will recognise it. They know from the IMEI number that it is an iPhone.

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
That plan only works on dumbphones and International Unlocked Android phones.

On one of my lines I have an HTC One X. Unlimited, unthrottled internet for $10 a month. Can't beat it.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
It's a plan for dumbphones.

OP: They will recognise it. They know from the IMEI number that it is an iPhone.
Yeah. Was about to pick up a Verizon 32 gb iPhone 5 on craiglist for $700 with receipt.

Think I will just keep my att iPhone 5. And keep my Verizon LTE phone sim in my Verizon iPad for now.

It's tempting to pick up the Verizon LTE iPhone regardless since I am sim swap between att and Verizon.

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
Yeah. Was about to pick up a Verizon 32 gb iPhone 5 on craiglist for $700 with receipt.

Think I will just keep my att iPhone 5. And keep my Verizon LTE phone sim in my Verizon iPad for now.

It's tempting to pick up the Verizon LTE iPhone regardless since I am sim swap between att and Verizon.
As long as you had 3G (HSPA) coverage you would be fine. You'd never get an LTE or 2G (EDGE) signal on AT&T with the Verizon iPhone 5.

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Since AT&T usually recognizes all iPhones regardless if it's international or from ATT locked.

Wondering if anyone's put a nano sim from ATT to use with Verizon's iPhone 5 with has unlocked GSM slot for fake 4G/3G.

I have both ATT and Verizon service. Would be cool if I could use the Verizon iPhone 5 on ATT's $10 family unlimited data plan if ATT's system do not recognize the phone.

We all know people use Galaxy Nexus (GSM), T-Mobile's S2 and S3 (which both support Tmobile and ATT 3G bands). We all know most people who use those phones use the $10 family unlimited data plan cause ATT does not recognize those phones.
Wouldn't work. AT&T is GSM and Verizon is CDMA. The only reason T Mobile works with AT&T is because they are both GSM networks

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
That plan only works on dumbphones and International Unlocked Android phones.

On one of my lines I have an HTC One X. Unlimited, unthrottled internet for $10 a month. Can't beat it.
Haha me too. I'm paying $45 a month before my discount. 450 min and unlimited data. Can't beat that.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
As long as you had 3G (HSPA) coverage you would be fine. You'd never get an LTE or 2G (EDGE) signal on AT&T with the Verizon iPhone 5.
Wouldn't get LTE, but you WOULD get EDGE. A Verizon SIM can't use EDGE in the US, but if you're roaming globally, there are many places you could hit EDGE or GPRS (some Caribbean countries, and Cruse Ships, respectively).

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Wouldn't get LTE, but you WOULD get EDGE. A Verizon SIM can't use EDGE in the US, but if you're roaming globally, there are many places you could hit EDGE or GPRS (some Caribbean countries, and Cruse Ships, respectively).
Uhh.. no in US you get 3G on AT&T, unless you were in an area that only had EDGE.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Uhh.. no in US you get 3G on AT&T, unless you were in an area that only had EDGE.
Correct. My point was that you can get EDGE, unlike someone above posted. About half of AT&T's network is EDGE-only, the other half has 3G, and a tiny fraction of it is LTE. Of course if you cook the books and count by POPs, like half is LTE, and 90% or something has 3G.