Does AT&T recognize Verizon LTE iPhone? $10 family unlimited data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Sep 23, 2012.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

Since AT&T usually recognizes all iPhones regardless if it's international or from ATT locked.

Wondering if anyone's put a nano sim from ATT to use with Verizon's iPhone 5 with has unlocked GSM slot for fake 4G/3G.

I have both ATT and Verizon service. Would be cool if I could use the Verizon iPhone 5 on ATT's $10 family unlimited data plan if ATT's system do not recognize the phone.

We all know people use Galaxy Nexus (GSM), T-Mobile's S2 and S3 (which both support Tmobile and ATT 3G bands). We all know most people who use those phones use the $10 family unlimited data plan cause ATT does not recognize those phones.

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

What is this AT&T $10 family unlimited data plan of which you speak? Never heard of it.

3. BiggAW macrumors 68020

4. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

It's a plan for dumbphones.

OP: They will recognise it. They know from the IMEI number that it is an iPhone.

5. Baldilocks macrumors member

That plan only works on dumbphones and International Unlocked Android phones.

On one of my lines I have an HTC One X. Unlimited, unthrottled internet for $10 a month. Can't beat it.

6. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah. Was about to pick up a Verizon 32 gb iPhone 5 on craiglist for $700 with receipt.

Think I will just keep my att iPhone 5. And keep my Verizon LTE phone sim in my Verizon iPad for now.

It's tempting to pick up the Verizon LTE iPhone regardless since I am sim swap between att and Verizon.

7. Baldilocks macrumors member

As long as you had 3G (HSPA) coverage you would be fine. You'd never get an LTE or 2G (EDGE) signal on AT&T with the Verizon iPhone 5.

8. iphonefan74 macrumors regular

Wouldn't work. AT&T is GSM and Verizon is CDMA. The only reason T Mobile works with AT&T is because they are both GSM networks

9. CH34P3T macrumors regular

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/21/verizon-iphone-5-confirmed-to-be-unlocked-on-gsm-3g-networks/

10. 617aircav Suspended

Haha me too. I'm paying $45 a month before my discount. 450 min and unlimited data. Can't beat that.

11. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Wouldn't get LTE, but you WOULD get EDGE. A Verizon SIM can't use EDGE in the US, but if you're roaming globally, there are many places you could hit EDGE or GPRS (some Caribbean countries, and Cruse Ships, respectively).

12. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Uhh.. no in US you get 3G on AT&T, unless you were in an area that only had EDGE.

13. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Correct. My point was that you can get EDGE, unlike someone above posted. About half of AT&T's network is EDGE-only, the other half has 3G, and a tiny fraction of it is LTE. Of course if you cook the books and count by POPs, like half is LTE, and 90% or something has 3G.