Carrier Does att allow tethering off unlimited plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by biosci, Oct 26, 2013.

1. biosci macrumors 6502a

We have att service and both of our phones are unlimited. Before we couldn't FaceTime over cellular but mine just worked. But has anyone gotten to tether with att? Personal hotspot wants me to visit att's website or call to configure.

2. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

With the old AT&T unlimited data plans, you are only going to be able to tether with a jailbreak.

They changed the FaceTime restriction against regular cellular data some time ago, but it does not mean you will be able to tether.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    In order to get tethering without a JB you have to switch away from your unlimited data.

4. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Or use an app that has an easter egg in it that allows teathering:D

5. rlb4 macrumors member

And what app would that be?

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

you do know that the apple's arch enemy has this cool service where you search for stuff and it tells you the answer

7. rlb4 macrumors member

Cool. That site is amazing. But unfortunately it gave me 3,160,000 answers. Seriously, if you know the answer why not share it instead of just telling to Google it. That is what forums are for, to share knowledge. I'm sure there are lots of ways to tether, but I was asking specifically about the app ROLLTIDE1 had mentioned since I'm assuming it works for him.

8. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but most of these appstore apps get pulled off within minutes or hours of release when Apple finds out about it.
    So you have to be lucky and fast in order to get one.

10. rlb4 macrumors member

Oh. Ok, sorry.

11. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I doubt they will ever allow tethering on the plan. It's one of their older plans, they want people to move onto their shared data plans.

The only carrier that I know of that does offer unlimited tethering with no throttling of any kind with their unlimited data plan is Verizon's old unlimited plan.

12. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

13. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

Got that right.

14. frito1224 macrumors regular

At&t does claim that they are working on making tethering available to the unlimited plan but they can't give a date, but when apple released facetime over the network att claimed it wouldn't work on the unlimited plan and now (since June) it does so we will have to wait and see if they make tethering available like they claim they will

15. wxman2003 Suspended

Not for tethering, unless you want to pay another $30 a month.

16. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I tether away and have never payed $30 a month;)

17. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I just poked around and I don't see any advantage, in my case, changing to a shared plan.

I still have one iPhone on unlimited and I don't see any price advantage at all.

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

No, it is not against forum rules. They have usually posted about the different apps that have come out. Usually late than early though. I think the only one they posted in time was the last one that had a snes emulator.

Don't you guys have to pay full price for your phone? Does the contract autorenew?
    I have never heard any claims by att to consider giving unlimited tethering. They announced that FaceTime was gonna be for all only.

19. dave420 macrumors 65816

I am not sure about that since when apps are available it is front page news. Of course since those apps get pulled it's not like any are available not without a jailbreak.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/20/flashlight-app-sneaks-tethering-into-app-store-for-now/

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The last tethering app that actually made it to the AppStore, was legally available and then subsequently pulled was "Handylight". It's great because you can tether to a computer without jail breaking -- but since it works via a proxy network you can use it to tether an iPad. I was lucky enough to get it (it was a story here in fact) but I rarely use it.

21. wxman2003 Suspended

I should clarify, it's $30 more a month, unless you jailbreak your phone.

22. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

Is there a secret tether app still available? I thought they were l taken down by apple.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, nothing right now.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could write your own ;)