does att and vzw allow u to upgrade to the newest iphone each year ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PacificBeach, Apr 8, 2012.

1. PacificBeach macrumors regular

does att and vzw allow u to upgrade to the newest iphone each year ? Do they just automically move your upgrade data?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can, but you'd have to pay an upgrade fee. Usually the full discounted upgrade is every 18 months.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Of course, why wouldn't they want your money?

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not exactly every year with VZW. For example, I upgraded late last year and my next upgrade is 6/13.

IIRC corporate store managers with any carrier may have some leeway depending on the revenue that your specific account generates. I've definitely had early upgrades with at&t.

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I bought the OG iPhone when it was launched. And since then I've bought EVERY iPhone on launch day at the full subsidized cost with AT&T

6. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Sure. All you need to do is give them money.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It depends on your plan. Depending on how profitable you are for the carrier, your upgrade date may be every 18 months, less frequent than the typical iPhone release cycle. I'm with AT&T and I was not eligible to upgrade when the 4S came out, not that I would have upgraded from a 4 to a 4S anyway.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

No. AT&T did away with 12 month upgrades last year. Ain't going to happen.
    We are talking about full subsidy $199/299 subisidy upgrades and not partial upgrades.

Just google it yourself. This has been common knowledge. People are still in denial once the 6th gen iPhone is announced. They just think AT&T let them upgrade to iPhone 4s from iPhone 4 it will be the same for sixth gen iPhone as well.

But they forget AT&T made an internal policy change in Q1 2011. So those who used upgraded before q1 2011 still had one last upgrade before the new policy took place. This is the reason why if you bright iPhone 4 (June/October 2010) AT&T still let those re upgrade for $199/299.

Now it's 18-20 months for all lines regardless if its primary or secondary line regardless if it's $99 or more on primary line.

Verizon did away with new every 2 last Jan 2011.

Sprint took away 12 month upgrades for their premier Long time customers.

Smartphone especially iPhones are getting too expensive for carriers to subsidy fully. They are all under tremendous pressure to offer the iPhone and apple probably demands each carrier sell at $199 subsidize price or risk not be able to carry the iPhone.

Of course apple probably demands close to $600 for each iPhone from carriers up front.

This is true because even sprint CEO said the iPhone cost sprint 40% more than any other iPhone. That pretty much means sprint can get huge in bulk discount from Samsung to sell S2. So sprint may obtain the S2 for around $420 from Samsung while Apple demands $600 (in bulk).

9. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Depending on your account At&t offers subsidized phone + $200 should be able to see that in the upgrades part on account management.

I don't know if verizon will offer something similar though, someone else will need to shed some light on that.

10. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Now its +$250. I had a friend who checked this morning.

11. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Ah ok, still better than nothing.

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

And Sprint is 40% worse the any other Sprint.

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

Early upgrade pricing simply isn't worth it.

$450 for upgrade for 16gb iPhone 4s.

You can take your chances and buy an almost new iPhone 4s from Craigslist for around $450-500 from sellers who don't want Ti.

$450 early upgrade plus $36 upgrade fee plus taxes equals well over $500.
    Plus people forget it resets your full subsidy upgrade back another 18-21 months again.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Those days are over.
    Used to be nice when you could upgrade every year with AT&T but not any more.

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yep like I said. Lots of people not on these forums will be in for a shock when they realize they don't get their upgrade.

99% of people simply will not pay full price for the iPhone. It's just the mentality of the USA system.

But carriers (outside of tmobile USA) give users zero incentive to buy phones at full price since there is no discount on data or voice for full price purchases.

Saying that. Smart ones will sell their old iPhones and subsidize their own full price phones.

16. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I had no problem getting my 4s at subsidized price as I spend so much on my bill each month. I guess some are saying they changed their rules but we'll see about that next Nov when the iPhone 5 comes out.

17. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

I am on Sprint and usually pay full retail price for phones as I switch a lot. The 4s is my 8th phone in 3 years. I just sell my old one and buy a new one, it's simple. The 32gb 4s I have now is what? $799 new? Assuming the new iPhone is priced the same, I sell the 4s for $600 and pay the extra $200 for the new one. Works out cheaper than the new customer price actually. I never have an issue with upgrades.

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I was always able to upgrade at launch at the fully discounted price, up until the 4S launch. After all those upgrades ATT put their foot down and wouldn't let me upgrade as I had before.

It's no huge deal- my contracts were always two years so they have every right to hold me to it. I did think it was weird that they let it slide up until the 4S, but again, that is their right.