Does ATT iphone 4s come unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brave5213, Dec 12, 2011.

1. brave5213 macrumors regular

i am planning to upgrade my line and i was wondering if i upgrade, that phone will be unlocked? because i am reading several comments which says even sprint ones comes unlocked.
    thanks

2. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

It only comes unlocked if you pay full price and purchase it an an Apple Store.

3. brave5213 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, i'm about buying one from craigslist.
    for now there is no way to unlock it right?

what if the person buys it from apple store but with contract, still not unlocked?

4. wpotere Guest

No, it won't be a contract phone and yes, there is currently no way to unlock it.

5. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I don't know if the Sprint and Verizon phones are still being sold unlocked. I do know that you can get it unlocked after a certain time frame, something like 3 or 6 months paid.

Unfortunately with AT&T you can't get the iPhone unlocked, ever, for now. Even if you pay your entire 2 year contract they won't unlock it. I believe since they are no longer the only iPhone carrier that they should start unlocking the iPhone's after a certain time period with your account being in good standing.

AT&T does unlock all their other phones, I believe the iPhone is the only exception.

6. brave5213 thread starter macrumors regular