Does Bill Richardson have a chance at all?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by halfprep455, Apr 21, 2007.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I think Bill Richardson actually does have a good shot at getting the democratic nomination. First off, unlike Obama or Clinton, he is a govonor not a senator. Americans have a tendency to elect govonors over senators. he seems like a guy who can get things done. he also seems to have a way to convience some moderatly conservitives to vote for him and several of his liberal policies. If it were him up against Guliani, Romney, or Mccain in the general election, he would most definitly win. Guliani has way too many shady secreats in his closet. McCain has completly abandened his position as a moderate and even the ultra right hates him b/c of his past. Romney flip flops more then aanyone else out there. I

He is one of the few politicians who can reach across party lines and appeal to liberals and moderate conservitives. I can see Clinton and Obama constantly arguing and Richardson just rise above them. He may not be very well known now but look at 2004. Almost no one outside of Mass. knew who John Kerry was. Almost every democrat thought Dean was going to get the nomination. I just hope Hilary does not get the nomination. She wouldn't even beat Brownback if she won. Hilary just gives me the chills when ever she opens her mouth. One day shes a liberal and one day shes a conservitive. Obama would make a good president but it does not help that he is a senator and he has only been one for 2 years.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No. Which is too bad, because he'd be better than most of the rest of these jokers. Hoping he'll get the VP nod, or something, if he does well, but Bill Bradley was passed over too, so I doubt it.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I doubt it. He'd do better gearing up for a run for Pete Domenici's Senate seat. After the senior Senator's phone call to US Attorney David Iglesias about prosecuting Democrats, this seat is up for grabs and Richardson could have a cakewalk. In the Presidential sweepstakes he is a million-to-one shot (cue Jim Carrey saying "soooo, you're saying there's a chance....")

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if gov richardson has presidential aspirations, wouldn't he do better staying governor? even now, he's racking up some decent foreign policy experience.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

People said the same thing back in 1991...

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So they did, but this Bill needs to show his face if he wants to have a chance.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No...he isn't well know. Obama, Clinton maybe Edwards are top 3.

Or Al Gore!!:)

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the current polls would say probably not, but that may not mean much. Before the last presidential election, at the start of 2003, the polls showed Joe Lieberman with a significant lead for the Democrats' nomination. Gephardt and Kerry lead the second tier of the pack and Howard Dean was back in low single digit land. Over the Summer and Fall, Dean went up and up in the polls until just before the voting actually started. Just before Iowa, he seemed to be the favorite....but of course in the end, it was Kerry that got the nomination.

here's a page with a interesting summary of polls from that race;

2004 polls

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

He has foreign policy cred from way back in the Clinton administration, and, yes, he has a nice résumé. Biden and Dodd would both argue they do as well. Clinton, Edwards, and Obama's best argument in this regard is that they would not do the same as Bush. Doesn't mean any of them wouldn't make a good president, but some, like Richardson, have been involved in foreign policy to a much greater extent.

To your first point, there are some who think it is almost impossible to be elected to the presidency as a sitting Senator (Kennedy was the last to do so,) but I'm not sure that remains true. If it ever was. Richardson may believe it is and not wish to make the race for Domenici's seat to keep his hopes alive for a later date, but I wasn't giving him the unsolicited advice to help him win the White House. Rather I was thinking both what is realistic for him now, and what would be best for the Democratic Party and the country. The closer the Dems can get to 60 senate seats the better.