Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I remember using an app called xclock during my years on Linux. xclock is a simple digital and analog clock with many options. This utility was very versatile in that it allowed the user to specify almost everything in order to create a custom onscreen clock. Does Catalina include such a utility?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
you can install the X11 package. I believe it includes xclock and xeyes :p
Personally I miss the Clock.app from the Jaguar days. There are some native apps out there that will probably do what you want.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
you can install the X11 package. I believe it includes xclock and xeyes :p
Personally I miss the Clock.app from the Jaguar days. There are some native apps out there that will probably do what you want.
Thank you for the link. I looked at the download and it looks like this includes the entire X Window System, something I didn't anticipate. I wonder if I should be looking at native clock apps instead. Can you list some of them?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Thank you for the link. I looked at the download and it looks like this includes the entire X Window System, something I didn't anticipate. I wonder if I should be looking at native clock apps instead. Can you list some of them?

Correct, that’s the full X11 system. I can’t really think of a good replacement so I hope someone else can chime in with a good one.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I get by with the time and date display in the menu bar, but if you want something more, why not see what's available in the App Store? I haven't made a study of it, but I see a mixture of free and paid clock apps there.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Correct, that’s the full X11 system. I can’t really think of a good replacement so I hope someone else can chime in with a good one.
Yeah, I don't really want to run the entire X11 system.. thanks for the confirmation. I may just search the Mac App Store or write my own app, wouldn't mind learning how to write a binary clock app.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
XQuartz is pretty lightweight on a Mac. The entire /opt/X11 directory is only 150MB in size. I use X11 all the time to ssh into Linux boxes and run graphical apps back on my Mac (like Ubuntu's software updater without having to run apt from the command line). There are some apps installed with homebrew that need X11 as well.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
XQuartz is pretty lightweight on a Mac. The entire /opt/X11 directory is only 150MB in size. I use X11 all the time to ssh into Linux boxes and run graphical apps back on my Mac (like Ubuntu's software updater without having to run apt from the command line). There are some apps installed with homebrew that need X11 as well.
Yeah, I'm just learning Swift so I can write my own apps. I have experience with C++, Perl and Python.. Swift can't be too difficult.

inkhorn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Except, xquartz doesn't work on Catalina!
It's a 32-bit app, which Catalina no longer supports.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.