Does contact-free T-Mobile iPhone 6 work with AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Applenat0r, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Applenat0r macrumors newbie

As many people have realised, Apple only offers a T-Mobile contract free version on their site at the moment (rather than just having an Apple full price version). Does that just mean that all T-Mobile phones come unlocked and I will be able to use it with my AT&T card? Or do I have to wait until AT&T comes out with a contract free version?

(I'm on Pay As You Go at AT&T)

Thanks!

2. wildonrio macrumors 6502

Doubt it. AT&T and T-Mobile are feisty to keep the phones locked from the other. If they offer the full price Verizon version at preorder, get that so it will work on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile (but not Sprint).

3. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yes, the contract free TMo version is fully unlocked. Can be used anywhere. (Except VZW/Sprint)

4. wildonrio macrumors 6502

That's why you get the VZW full price version. That way it works everywhere including Verizon.

5. sickntired macrumors member

do you think it will be possible to buy the T-mobile version without switching to them? I guess I could just buy the phone with 1 month of service and then cancel.

I have unlimited data plan with AT&T so I don't want to switch but I also don't want to buy a another phone under contract with AT&T either. I'd prefer to just buy it outright.

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yup, the VZW iPhones are the ones to get. They always come unlocked and if you get sick of TMo, it's only a SIM away from being used on VZW.

7. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Yes.
    T-Mobile is GSM
    AT&T is GSM.

You can use a t-mobile version with AT&T.

8. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yeah, you can just buy the contract-free version at the Apple Store at launch, or even at the AT&T store.

Does anyone know if the VZW store allows the purchase of contract-less iPhone at launch WITHOUT an account? I bet they don't...

9. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

Can the Verizon version be used with Straight Talk?

10. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

You can buy the TMO no contract version w/o switching. I did this last year. Popped my AT&T sim in when it arrived and worked great.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

IN the past, T-Mobile iPhones sold at launch have been unlocked, though Apple store employees either avoided admitting to this or outright lied about it.

That said, there has been only ONE launch cycle where T-Mobile iPhones were available at launch (the T-Mobile iPhone 5 happened long after the 5 launched). So we don't exactly have a pattern here.

Worst case: the phone is bought off contract, so it's not hard to argue that T-Mobile should unlock the phone for you if you request it.

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yes, it can be used on any carrier. (minus Sprint)

----------

I think the easiest way to avoid this would be to just purchase the VZW version at the Apple store without a contract... if possible. Can anyone confirm?

13. inthecup macrumors regular

Was just told by Apple that it won't.

14. techspin macrumors 6502a

Well now I'm confused. Does the T-mobile full price version use the same bands as AT&T? Or will coverage/usage suffer if I try to use Tmo on AT&T?

15. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

Did they send you a TMO SIM card with your phone last year?

My understanding is that these TMO ones come with a SIM card. If it comes with a SIM card, doesn't that mean I will be forced to pay for a service of some kind? I just want the phone...

16. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

According to the Apple Store site, the T-Mobile and AT&T phones are the exact same part number. It would be extremely surprising to find that what rep told him was accurate.

17. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

It did come with one and I did not activate it. I just put my AT&T SIM into it. If you're having doubts my best advice is to wait until the phones are released and see what the internets can confirm. We can all only go on what they've done in the past. I don't expect it to change but if you are queasy about it, you should wait.

18. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

So just to clarify, did you have to sign up for a new TMO service when you bought your iPhone last year?