Does deleting and reinstalling the GIPHY app cause the app to no longer work?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by s2mike, Jul 6, 2017.

1. s2mike macrumors 6502

I had the GIPHY app when I upgraded to iOS 11. Everything worked fine until the other day, when something froze and couldn’t be corrected by killing the app or rebooting the phone. Eventually I uninstalled/reinstalled the app...and from there it would never even get past the logo launch screen before the app would crash.

After trying every possible combination of deleting the app, rebooting, reinstalling, deleting from iCloud, installing via iMessage App Store, etc, I finally decided that the problem was on my end...I figured there was some corrupt piece of data hidden somewhere in my phone that was causing the app to crash upon opening. I did a full, clean restore...only to find that when I downloaded the GIPHY app, it still didn’t work.

My current theory is that if you upgrade to iOS 11 and you have the GIPHY app, you’re fine. However, if you delete the app...once you reinstall it, the app will no longer work.

Is anyone willing to confirm this?

Thanks. My OCD is killing me.

2. s2mike thread starter macrumors 6502

Never mind - seems lots of people are having issues with the app.

This thread can be deleted.

3. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Just curious why you have that app if it is integrated into the keyboard already?

4. s2mike thread starter macrumors 6502

You mean via the iMessage App Store? The “images” app that’s integrated by default is godawful. GIPHY is way, way better.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It appears as if Giphy’s update today rectified the issue.