Does each OS update make the iPhone slower?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tymaster50, Oct 11, 2012.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

When you first get the phone it's like the fastest thing ever. But it seems with each update it gets just a little slower. So is that apple's way of planned obsolescence? Or does the processor just start slowing with age?

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The software becomes more demanding.

3. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

Do you really think it's more demanding to swipe to the next page on iOS6 than it was on iOS2?

Is it more demanding to type an email?

It's the exact same action... yet in each OS update it becomes impossibly slow to type an email with stuck letters etc.

When the 3Gs came out it was blazing fast, then after a few updates the same exact actions became bogged down, slow, sticky.

It's Apple's version of throttling.

4. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Well the whole OS gets larger, which will use more ram. This could account for some of the lag.

5. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

You haven't noticed the same thing with each successive version of Windows? It's not just swiping through emails, it's the core OS that gains features and so requires more processing power and RAM.

6. Bahroo macrumors 68000

No this doesnt make sense, my friends iPhone 4 is updated to iOS 6 and he said it made his phone even faster, and more smoother

7. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

My iPhone 4 got faster after the iOS 6 update...

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My 4s was noticeably faster with iOS6 as well

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

My iPhone 4s got WAY faster after the iOS 6 update. It was like getting a new phone.

10. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

that high won't last for long. Once the new OS settles in and they start releasing backlog updates it will get slower. My iPhone 4 felt like new too then I realized I didn't really get any features. A prime example is the 3g on ios 4.

11. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

iMessage doesn't count as a feature? :confused:

12. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

iMessage was in iOS 5. In iOS 6 it doesn't seem like that many new features. With a 4 on att there wasn't much I can do, I was better off jailbroken. apple maps but no turn by turn or flyover, no siri, no panorama, just redesigned app store and music player/settings. Pretty much only feautures that actually mattered to me.

13. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I consider passbook, new maps, and a much much faster Safari with icloud tabs, iTunes match streaming and overall performance increase to be plenty of new features!!

Oh and on my 5 I can also use personal hotspot without an additional monthly charge...AND facetime over LTE!

14. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

true, you have to think about what you're really getting though. If you're going to use passbook hey power to you! I don't have any cards to put in there so it's just another useless stock app to me. I'm not a user of maps except to look at the occasional odd location. Safari seemed a little bit faster, I guess it's because instead of the loading bar just skipping around it seems to actually go at a consistent pace this time. I don't use iTunes match streaming and performance increase is always a plus but at what price?

15. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Well I use passbook for my starbucks card and I have concert tickets in it right now. I use maps all the time when my car GPS fails to find my location, and safari is def faster and again, icloud tabs is awesome! I love iTunes match since I don't have to waste space on my phone for music..and LTE is so fast it doesn't even have to think about it!

16. divisionbuyzero macrumors member

divisionbuyzero

Actually not true in modern windows versions. Windows 7 was "lighter" than vista and windows 8 is even better. Bottom line: windows 8 is faster on my 5 year old computer than windows vista was when I bought it!

If done properly, newer versions should not be more demanding on old hardware.

17. cole01 macrumors 6502

I'm hoping that with the A5 chip and up, performances decreases with new operating system updates won't be an issue for a while. With Apple releasing the new iPod touch with the A5 chip, it shows me that they have intentions to support the architecture for a long time to come. It's still very capable of running an extremely optimized operating system like iOS smoothly, especially with two cores. My 4S still feels as "snappy" as it was the day it was unboxed on iOS 5.0

18. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

In my personal experience, yes. Every update I've ever done to an iOS device has slowed it down at least a little bit. I perceive this as throttling on Apple's part even if it's not intentional. Not allowing downgrades in software plays a big part in that perception for me.

19. k995 macrumors 6502a

No 7 was less demanding then vista with more features, same goes for 8 .

Yet my ipad lags like hell on iOS 5 and I dont dare update my iphone 4 to iOS 6 as some say its just as bad.

Apple was able to deliver it before no doubt if enough people complain about it they can do it again.

20. bemugg124 macrumors newbie

true, after update iOS 6, my iPhone 4 got much faster

21. zephxiii macrumors 6502

iOS5 runs like a dog on my 4, it's so laggy :(. I'm glad to hear iOS6 ssems to be running better.

22. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

iOS 6 is much slower on my iPad 3, especially the app store and maps. Safari crashes very often.
    iTunes match was also present in iOS5 and with a better implementation.
    :(

23. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

Processors get dirty and it slows them down... run it under some water, you'll be fine.

24. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

Shame windows 8 is terrible

25. tekno macrumors 6502a

I think it's a little unfair to react to a genuine question with such sarcasm. Everything else in life slows/degrades with age, so it's not unreasonable that someone might assume processors do the same.