does efi update 2.7 fix the sata iii speeds in the optical slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onions, Mar 28, 2012.

1. onions macrumors member

finally got around to updating lion to 10.7.3 and the efi firmware update 2.7 popped up. i'm wondering if this update fixes the inconsistent sata iii speeds in the optical slot. i tried searching the forum to no avail.

anyone know?

2. Macman45, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I doubt it , but it migh be worth keeping an eye on this...post back if you notice speed and performance improvements.

3. onions thread starter macrumors member

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Do you have an early 11' mbp? Why don't you go under system profiler and determine the link speed. From there you should be able to check to see if it worked or not.

I have an early 11' 17" and have Sata III on both bays.

5. onions thread starter macrumors member

i have a late 2011 but it's not whether or not sata iii is on the machine. it's whether or not the stability of a 6g connection has been fixed.

6. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

7. onions thread starter macrumors member

i did but i don't have an sata iii drive on my optical slot to test. hence the whole reason why i'm asking the forum if anyone's been able to test it.

are you trying to be annoying?

8. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

No, Im just trying to figure out why it's a big deal for you to know. I'm sure on the release note, if it was that important, that they would state that it fixes the Sata II "bug". As far as I know, the Sandy Bridge had problems with the Sata III port deteriorating in performance over time. Maybe Apple had a few of these machines affected and decided to limit them to Sata II so they won't have problems. Also, the ODD port, in Apple's eyes, is meant only for a Superdrive. So that would bring their question up to "Why do you need Sata III speeds for a SD that would be completely saturating the Sata I speeds.