Does everyone in the US vote with their political party allegiance, regardless of the nominee?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BMcCoy, Mar 22, 2016.

1. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Clearly none of the current US presidential candidates meet with broad approval across the population, for one of the most important jobs in the world..

But does that change how anyone votes in the US?
    Or does everyone pretty much vote with the republican or democrat candidate regardless of who they actually are?

I'm not talking about the 5% of swing voters, but people who would self-associate themselves as republican, or democrat. What percentage of those would consider voting for the 'other candidate' if they felt they would make a better president?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I would never associate myself with Republicans or Democrats. If you put a gun to my head, I'd choose the latter.

3. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You've picked a bad example for your topic. If both choices are bad, it doesn't matter if you vote by party affiliation.

4. BMcCoy thread starter macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Fair enough!

5. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

If you are talking about independents being 5% of the electorate you are way off. Try 42%.

6. BMcCoy thread starter macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

It may not matter, but I'm intrigued to know if many voters would say, for example, "I'm a Democrat, but I think Trump would do a better job, so I'll vote for him" OR "I'm a Republican, but I think Clinton would do a better job, so I'll vote for her" ?

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

As of right now American politics involves a two party system. I vote with the side that more closely represents my ideas rather than the one that represents nearly everything I am against.

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I was a Rino so I became a Libertarian! Come on over to sanity where the dirty word that that is practiced is "compromise"! There are former Democrats and Republicans all in here and it's is growing!

9. BMcCoy thread starter macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Gosh, sorry.
    I just googled for a estimate figure and came across a Washington Post article for the 5% figure.

42%?!!

No wonder the nominees are spending tens of millions of $ on campaigning and adverts.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I think many call it "pragmatism", they can't stand the nominee they are voting for , BUT they hate the guy/gal on the other side more :p

11. BMcCoy thread starter macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

And does that extend to the presidential vote too?
    Would you vote for your chosen party's candidate, regardless of who he or she is?

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Since 2008, I vote against every incumbent at every level regardless of party.

Presidentially, I voted for Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Dole, Bush, Bush, Obama and most recently, Gary Anderson.

13. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I tend to lean more on the Republican side of things but I am very much open to just finding the person that is better suited for the job if my parties choices are not good.

In this current election cycle I still am not 100% on my choice.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

For many years, I was a "swing voter", and voted for the best moderate candidate regardless of party. And, when I disapproved of both, I would vote for a minor party candidate if I preferred them.

Since 2000, I have never voted for a Republican, and, I don't expect to ever vote for a Republican again. All the moderate Republicans I used to vote for have been defeated by "the base" at the primary level, and the new Republicans combine everything-- corporatism, racism, religious fundamentalism, sexism, neo-conservative bomb-first policies ("bombism"?), and now Trumpism-- into one package.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

ewwwwwww, try Gary J

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Lol, that's who I meant.

Who the hell is Gary Anderson?

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There is a difference between independents that are not registered as affiliated with a party and actual swing voters that can be persuaded to vote for the other party. A lot of independents are Republicans that didn't want to be associated with Bush, and I'd assume the same thing has happened with Democrats who are disappointed in Obama. However when it comes down to it most of them will only vote one party even though they claim to be independents.

You're about right on 5% that will actually switch back and forth. Most of the money spent for campaigns is to target that 5% as well as to get more of your party motivated to come out to the polls to vote. With our low turnout rates usually whoever does the best job of getting their voters to come out and got will win. And when people are disappointed with their party's candidate they will stay home rather than vote for the other candidate.

18. BMcCoy thread starter macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Not at all. Flame suit on. I consider myself a Conservative probably more of a Libertarian(remember two party system) the Republican Party is supposed to be the "conservative party" there are things that I don't agree with them about. It appears to be that during this election cycle Trump will be the Parties nominee, I can't in good conscious vote for him. Not for the same reasons that those on the left would. I don't believe he truly means what he says, he has no coherent plan, his followers offer nothing but attacks on his detractors.

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

He was the kicker for the Pittsburghs Steelers in the '80-90's. Quite a reliable, but lacking the booting power of today's kickers. Some would disagree, but I thought Morten Andersen (kicker for dem N'Orleans 'Aints) was better.

Anyhow, I am neither Democrat nor Republican. I'm a fan of H. Ross Perot and Jessie "The Body" Ventura. It's only natural that I would align with the Reform Party. :oops:shameless plug:oops:

21. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Any American vs. Globalist puppets. Either we have a sovereign country or we don't.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think the fact that the country has voted for both Republican and Democratic candidates on the national level suggests that there is a quite sizable bloc of voters who are are open to examine the candidates on their individual merits. I'd guess that this bloc was anything from 10 to 30% of the population.

I personally have always tried to put my own evaluation of the candidate's characteristics, their record, and their proposals over simple party labels. As a young man I voted (enthusiastically) for Ronald Reagan and George Bush. But I voted for Bill Clinton over Bob Dole in 1996. (I didn't dislike Dole, but I felt he was too old for the job, and his proposals seemed lukewarm compared to Clinton's record.)

Probably the hardest decision I had to make was in 2004. I was quietly appalled by the growing disaster of the Iraq War; by the rush to adopt the Patriot Act; and by Bush's reckless tax cutting and benefit expansions. I was however unmoved by John Kerry's campaign. In retrospect, I think I made the wrong decision.

To blindly vote for a Candidate purely on party label strikes me as foolish. Even more so the choice to blindly vote against any incumbent on pure principle. Because the reality is that many, many incumbents have done a pretty good job. And re-electing them seems a far smarter play than blindly rolling the dice on an unknown quantity.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

All depends on what the country thinks the biggest issues are during that given election cycle. Democrats are often viewed as the ones who people turn to domestically, Republicans for foreign affairs. Neither party has historically done both well at the same time. I like to look at their entire platform and prioritize what I think is important for the country. I don't understand single issue voters. Personally I tend to gravitate to the candidate who will let me keep more of my money. This election cycle we've manage to dredge up the crap at the bottom and I might very well sit this one out. lol

24. unlinked macrumors 6502a

This year 1 sitting senator and 1 former senator have said they won't vote for their parties presumptive nominee. That seems pretty abnormal to me. The only comparable thing I can recall is Joe Lieberman. How unusual is it in practice?

25. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

This is my opinion and experience too.