Does everyone realize there is now a HQ button on Safari Youtube? wifi quality via 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I didn't even realize this until today. Some guy from AT&T came into my store with a 3GS and I showed him my iPhone 4. It was also funny that when I said it was the 32 he said, "Oh you got the monster." I was like lol. Thats a tight way to refer to it.

Anyway, after showing him a video on the youtube app, he asked if I knew you could show HQ videos over 3G if you go to the actual youtube website. I didnt believe him at first because I usually keep up with these types of things, so I kinda agreed, but secretly I doubted him. But then he just pulled it up on his phone and it was wifi quality, and sure enough, when I checked it was true.

I didnt even know this and I usually keep up with these things. It was a nice surprise option. Now whenever I play songs in the car the quality will be even better. Im excited.

2. n00basaur macrumors regular

yes its been like that since they launched the youtube mobile site

3. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

when was that??

4. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

On a side note if you dont mind. Since this is a youtube related question on the Iphone. Before I use to look up songs on youtube with the iphone whether on the app or using safari and would listen to the song while at the gym, not really paying attention to the video or whatever was showing. Now they pretty much all pop up as instrumentals. Whats the deal with that? Did they notice that people as myself would go to youtube to stream music?

5. Petronas macrumors regular

where is this "HQ" button? can't seem to find it on my iPhone/safari youtube

6. suss2it macrumors regular

YouTube and Vevo partnered together and uploaded official music videos now so I think YouTube cracked down on music videos they didn't upload themselves. The music videos also seem to be strictly in flash too so you can't get them on your iPhone, but Vevo recently released an app to watch the music videos, so try that.

7. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

IMO, it needs to be more known that mobile YouTube is much better than the stock Youtube app on the iPhone. Apple has pretty much neglected updating it these days.

That, and I'm sure AT&T doesn't like its customers streaming HQ YouTube over 3G;)

Record companies have been hitting some Youtube videos with intellectual property complaints.

8. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

yeah people like that need to die

I can't even count how many times I've had to wait for an "official" video to load, only to have it be someone doing a cover of it

9. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

10. Petronas macrumors regular

The video on that website wont load for me but I managed to find this on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGT8ZCTBoBA&feature=search

I don't have the choice of watching in HQ or not... Would be nice as when my internet is capped I can't watch HQ videos...

This is what the iPhone in the video looks like
    [​IMG]

And this is what it looks like on my iphone
    [​IMG]

11. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Try clearing your bakery.

12. Petronas macrumors regular

My bakery lol? wot? If you mean history then I've done that so... I dunno lol...

13. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

i mean cookies

14. Petronas macrumors regular

Yeah tried this too, still no option to select HQ or not?

15. PezRadar macrumors regular

16. Petronas macrumors regular

Perhaps...

17. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Clear your cache and cookies, then refresh the page.

18. The Phazer macrumors 68030

You have to change the language to US English on your YouTube account. International English still diverts to the old site that doesn't offer HQ.

Phazer

19. Petronas macrumors regular

Worked! Thanks mate