Does Finder's gallery view replace Cover Flow?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by benface, Jun 7, 2018.

1. benface macrumors regular

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

It does appear like it, yes. I have not yet fully tested to see if there's a way of getting CoverFlow back, but at least per default, it does

3. benface thread starter macrumors regular

Makes sense, it is very similar to Cover Flow but with more features. Thanks!

4. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Sure, you're welcome. The features aren't just inherent to that presentation mode though. The side bar and its functionality can be enabled for other views too. The new view just allows the content to be really big. I thought cover flow gave a better overview of neighbouring data, but when you're in that view anyway, overviews isn't what you're there for. That's list and column views. So overall it works well

5. kpeex macrumors member

kpeex

I'm missing the 'more features' part of Gallery View.

I'm missing Cover Flow.... I used it to quickly scroll through large folders of images using different sort characteristics in List View. I'll survive.

6. bbincc macrumors newbie

bbincc

I also miss Cover Flow, for the same reason: I could quickly scroll through images in a list using the up and down arrows, which is easier than using the right and left arrows. It was also easier to change the sort order in Cover Flow. It's a loss.

7. jeanlain macrumors 65816

Most people don't know that the side bar could be activate in non-column views in previous OS X versions as well. It's been the case since at least Lion.

8. elliotttate macrumors newbie

I HATE that it's missing. Thankfully, Path Finder brings it back. That's the only way I've found to bring it back. I really hope Apple gives us an option to bring it back (even if it's in the command line) https://cocoatech.com/

9. Tech198 macrumors G5

I liked Cover flow.

10. Yel macrumors newbie

USESLESS USELESS USELESS!!!

Cover flow was useful for scrolling through large amount of photos. Clicking through each single photo is ridiculous. Slideshow is too slow. Looking at the thumbnails, they are too small. If you one makes them larger so that to be able to see something on the photo, the number of them in a row doesn't adjust so some of the photos become hidden. Then again click and move around to see them. Even worse!

As it is now, it is totally useless for fast search by scrolling through the photos (or any documents for that matter).

Instead of incorporate features that would reduce amount of clicking, Apple is upgrading to apps that require more and more clicking. Those who have pains from mouse clicking, we are really not very grateful!!