Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
No one can answer that. Go apply in store and see if you get approved or not.

LOL yes plenty can answer that. Don't answer if you don't know?
Sprint NEVER has a deposit...they may have a while ago but not now.
They have what's called spending limits. If you have low credit they only allow you to have a monthly bill of x amount. I had sprint when my credit was just being establish 550 or so. My spending limit was $150. Just means my monthly bill can't exceed that. So only 2 lines max. Or 1 line and a tablet etc.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My credit score is really bad, partly due to both identity theft, as well as being an irresponsible college student. 440 is my score.

No deposits :). Sprint service actually is very decent in my area too, better than my AT&T and T-Mobile service was for sure.

It doesn't matter what your credit score is however, your first bill will always be abnormally high, due to pro-ration. I do have a spending limit of $150, and I'm on the $79.99/month 450 minute plan. I also got an 18% employer discount. I'm more than happy.

If your credit is way worse than mine, it's also refreshing to know that their highest deposit is only $250 (compared to VZW/T-Mobile/ATT's $700), even if you previously owed them a balance!

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
LOL yes plenty can answer that. Don't answer if you don't know?
Sprint NEVER has a deposit...they may have a while ago but not now.
They have what's called spending limits. If you have low credit they only allow you to have a monthly bill of x amount. I had sprint when my credit was just being establish 550 or so. My spending limit was $150. Just means my monthly bill can't exceed that. So only 2 lines max. Or 1 line and a tablet etc.

You are pretty far off about the whole "no deposit" thing. I work for Sprint. I just had a customer have a $400 deposit last week. Spending limit allows customers with people that don't have credit established or mediocre credit to get service. You can even have a deposit along with the spending limit.

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml?ECID=vanity:termsandconditions

"A deposit, in most instances between $50 and $750 (but sometimes up to $1000), may be required per line to establish service."

Educate yourself, then respond back.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
You are pretty far off about the whole "no deposit" thing. I work for Sprint. I just had a customer have a $400 deposit last week. Spending limit allows customers with people that don't have credit established or mediocre credit to get service. You can even have a deposit along with the spending limit.

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml?ECID=vanity:termsandconditions

"A deposit, in most instances between $50 and $750 (but sometimes up to $1000), may be required per line to establish service."

Educate yourself, then respond back.

No Sprint should educate their employees I only said what one of their employees told me.. When I had this exact same question when i applied for service.
I stand corrected

I'm glad you are so well educated on your job, that's a rare quality in someone working in retail.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
My credit score is really bad, partly due to both identity theft, as well as being an irresponsible college student. 440 is my score.

No deposits :). Sprint service actually is very decent in my area too, better than my AT&T and T-Mobile service was for sure.

It doesn't matter what your credit score is however, your first bill will always be abnormally high, due to pro-ration. I do have a spending limit of $150, and I'm on the $79.99/month 450 minute plan. I also got an 18% employer discount. I'm more than happy.

If your credit is way worse than mine, it's also refreshing to know that their highest deposit is only $250 (compared to VZW/T-Mobile/ATT's $700), even if you previously owed them a balance!

Don't know about Verizon/AT&T but at T-Mobile our deposits max out at $400. Most I've ever seen someone's credit require them to pay was $250 though. I'm not sure what one could do that would be bad enough for us to require them to pay a $400 deposit. I believe we're the most lenient with credit checks probably because we don't carry the iPhone.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
No Sprint should educate their employees I only said what one of their employees told me.. When I had this exact same question when i applied for service.
I stand corrected

I'm glad you are so well educated on your job, that's a rare quality in someone working in retail.

Sorry about being harsh in my original post.
I agree about the store reps not being trained, I unfortunately don't work in a store. It's depressing for all the stories we get about store reps not knowing what they talk about. That's pretty much how it is with every retailer. I just went to best buy to redeem a coupon for being a premier customer, the first cashier didn't know how to ring it up properly and told me to go to customer service. I was even walking him through the transaction and he still failed to follow the instructions as I used to work at Best Buy :p

----------

Don't know about Verizon/AT&T but at T-Mobile our deposits max out at $400. Most I've ever seen someone's credit require them to pay was $250 though. I'm not sure what one could do that would be bad enough for us to require them to pay a $400 deposit. I believe we're the most lenient with credit checks probably because we don't carry the iPhone.

When I worked at Best Buy, I did a credit check with a friend of mine, and he had a $700 deposit with AT&T. I don't understand some carriers asinine deposits lol. Why not just tell them they weren't approved?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.